Thread: Car jack

Car jack

I was thinking about buying a SCA car jack that supports up to 1400kg.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...d=215072#Combo

Its on sale for 20 at supercheapauto at the moment so I might buy it. It's not like the jack will support all of the cars weight? I want to spray my wheels so would this jack and axle stands do the job of holding it up while the wheels are off? Or are there better ways to do this. Sorry I'm very new to all this.

Thanks!

why not use the jack that you have for your spare tyre?

the issue with the jack you posted above is that the wheels don't lock.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    What car? (sorry on phone can't see)

I use 1400kg jack on my prelude, no problems
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Quote Originally Posted by lolmclol View Post
    why not use the jack that you have for your spare tyre?

the issue with the jack you posted above is that the wheels don't lock.
    Oh okay so would I be able to get it off all 4 wheels? So do I jack one side with the spare tire jack, place an axle stand there then repeat for the other wheels? Cause I want to remove my wheels to spray them.

Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenJ View Post
    What car? (sorry on phone can't see)

I use 1400kg jack on my prelude, no problems
    DC5 luxury, so it should be all good? I just want to jack it up so I can place axle stands underneath it. I think thats how I wanna do it to remove my wheels and spray it. I've been watching youtube videos and they jack the car up and place axle stands underneath so that the jack isn't used anymore. But this is my first time so i'm not too sure. Does this sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by sondang View Post
    Oh okay so would I be able to get it off all 4 wheels? So do I jack one side with the spare tire jack, place an axle stand there then repeat for the other wheels? Cause I want to remove my wheels to spray them.

DC5 luxury, so it should be all good? I just want to jack it up so I can place axle stands underneath it. I think thats how I wanna do it to remove my wheels and spray it. I've been watching youtube videos and they jack the car up and place axle stands underneath so that the jack isn't used anymore. But this is my first time so i'm not too sure. Does this sound right?

Yep yep! You could easily use it jack up one side, put the axle stands down, then repeat on the other side.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    just get it. that's cheap as chups

you've gotta jack the front in the middle, put some stands on, then take the jack out

also 1400kg is enough to jack the entire car which you won't be doing anyway
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by lolmclol View Post
    Yep yep! You could easily use it jack up one side, put the axle stands down, then repeat on the other side.
    Okay cool thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    just get it. that's cheap as chups

you've gotta jack the front in the middle, put some stands on, then take the jack out

also 1400kg is enough to jack the entire car which you won't be doing anyway
    Yeah true it's 20 dollars i'll buy it anyway. Thanks for your help guys

That was the first jack I bought, and it is pretty much useless for jacking a car up. I only use it for helping to line up/support when doing sussy parts.

Unless your car is near stock height, it won't even fit under the front. And if you got it to fit under (using OEM jack, wood etc), it doesn't jack high enough to be able to slide stands under the side points. On top of that, it takes a few minutes to jack up 200mm under load.

If you plan on buying and using a jack in the future, get a costco one for $160, very good investment. Otherwise see if you can borrow a jack, cos that SCA one is a joke and is only good to use as a secondary
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The max rated load is not the issue. You need to check the minimum and maximum heights. Cheap jacks are usually tallish, so they may have issues getting under a lowered car and the max height is usually not enough to get a set of jack stands under the jack points even at the lowest jack stand setting. In addition, once you get the fronts on the stands you then need to jack the rear up, which needs to be much higher than the front because of the location of the rear jack point.

This jack you are looking at has a max height of 335mm. So that means at the front, you'll probably only get 300mm jack stands under the the car. The rear will be worse, probably be under 280 mm once the car is fully jacked up. That's not enough to get a stands under the front and rear of the car.
    Last edited by aaronng; 05-11-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2