Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best oils!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG, RB3

Best oils!

Hey everyone,

Just wanna ask, what do YOU think are the best oils to use on your s2k and why?
    I only had my car for about 3 1/2 months, and I'm doing my major service soon, so i assume every oil will be changed. Engine oil, tranny oil and diff oil.
    I came from a FN2 before so i was wondering if the F20 is similar to the K20 in terms of maintenance?
    Im a Motul fanboy btw, so can i use 8100 x-cess engine oil? Same with type-II lsd tranny oil. Im not sure about the rest, but if you could tell me what you think are the best oils for the car, then shoot away!!!

Thanks in advance!

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    If your a Motul fan boy use the real fully synthetic like 300v

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Make the change from Motul to Penrite and life will be easier on your wallet and better on your car.

I would recommend the following (all Penrite products):

Engine: 10 Tenths Racing 15W50
    Gearbox: Pro Gear 75W85
    Rear Diff: Pro Gear 75W90
    Brake fluid: Super DOT4 or Racing Super DOT4
    Coolant: 6 year long life

You will find that the price of all of these will be significantly cheaper than the Motul range. Penrite products are made in Australia, for Australian conditions. Also their oils have a much lower sheer rate (their 10 Tenths Racing engine oil is sheer free) than the Motul products, meaning they keep the rated viscosity longer, which in turns protects better
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

at cbauto, which is my local mechanic (he works on all hondie from the base models to nsx), he only recommends using motul oils

my apex seals will last forever thanks to motul

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG, RB3
    Thanks for the quick replies!

Also if someone can quickly tell me off the top of their heads how much oil each part needs? Engine tranny diff and coolant!
    Legendary quick replies. I'll definitely look into penrite oils. Ive used them once and they weren't bad!

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Have you got a service manual?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG, RB3
    No i don't sorry. Is service manual the same as user manual for the car??

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    service manual is what honda use when they have issues with the car. A simple google search with ap1 fsm will net it
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda s2000
    I use Amsoil - performs very well at high temperatures. Read up on professional tests conducted in the states.
    Redline for the tranny.
    Amsoil for the diff.

Member Array
    Car:
    2014 NSX
    i use the motul x-cess 8100 5w40, pretty much used the whole bottle to fill mine up

Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    Make the change from Motul to Penrite and life will be easier on your wallet and better on your car.

I would recommend the following (all Penrite products):

Engine: 10 Tenths Racing 15W50
    Gearbox: Pro Gear 75W85
    Rear Diff: Pro Gear 75W90
    Brake fluid: Super DOT4 or Racing Super DOT4
    Coolant: 6 year long life

You will find that the price of all of these will be significantly cheaper than the Motul range. Penrite products are made in Australia, for Australian conditions. Also their oils have a much lower sheer rate (their 10 Tenths Racing engine oil is sheer free) than the Motul products, meaning they keep the rated viscosity longer, which in turns protects better

why on earth would you use a 15w50 oil in an s2000. spec is 10w30, most use 10w40 after the engine has had a decent amount of wear

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    i used to use oem honda oil until they changed their oil.

i just use Castrol 5w-30 and never have problems.
    no oil burn.
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....