Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EG or EK, What's better for me in terms of...

Hey guys,

I hope I've come to the right place to ask a few questions about potentially buying a Civic! I'm looking at EG or EKs as I really like the look of both!

So I've searched the net for EG vs EK but can't seem to find much that applys to aus (tones of us civic forums!)

So I want to know whats better out the EG and EK in terms of..

1. Fuel:
      what gets more or less? (I do some traveling and sometimes have to transport client, cheaper the fuel the better!). Eks are newer but egs are lighter..

1. Reliability:
      their are very similar but is one more reliable then the other? (under the same conditions, I know the EK have OBD2 so does that make finding and fixing problems easier?

1. Avaliability of parts:
      EGs are older so there might be more parts around? while also in terms of OEM type parts, how about aftermarket, is there more or less for either or?

Also do these 3 things change for Sedan (2 door and 4 door) vs Hatch?

While some of it is subjective, I cant figure out what would be better for me and what I like more, why do they all have to be so good haha. but fuel and reliability seem to be the big winners for me. I'd also be looking at a d16 if that helps.

Thanks for your help guys! Back to looking at build threads

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    all 3 factors pretty much same

but ek has few advantage,being newer for roughly similar price and also one generation newer chassis development

so it comes down to your taste in look really

Oh I should also mention it's for daily driving and hills drives everynow and then type of thing

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    I posted this on the MCM forum a while back.

"Starting from the first Civic produced in 1972, the Civic's innovation were; 'clean' and comtemporary (for its time. Well the EGs and EKs still looks good with today's modern-looking cars on the road, ay?), lightweight, good ride and handling, and design and built quality, and good fuel economy, nice interior space... so many good points packed into the 'compact' (for the hatchies, at that time) Civics. In both Civics, majority of them has the D series engines stock standard, AUDM/worldwide, with the B16a in the sporty, flagship models. Both weighs very similar, around the 1000Kg mark. The EK is a little bit bigger, longer, wider and higher, safer with an improved chassis; ridgidity than its older bro.
    In conclusion, both Civics were/are which people, potential owners, owners and the general public, looked apon as reliable, 'compact' and reasonably priced against the competitive market, as the Civics across its generations has made its name (What do you drive? 'Civic, yea bra!' XD) from those distinctive qualities which Honda has offered."
    Was practising writing English HSC essays back then. Decided to write up a somewhat good write-up.

Source? Mum's FD came with a DVD about Honda, and the History. Got it from there!

Also, go for the EGs for it's 'sexy', curvy look, the EKs for a more angled, aggressive look.
    Last edited by 3K9; 11-11-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    Currently officially unofficially Ozhonda's vinyl sticker distributor:
    1 Small 150 x 29mm: $6 posted
    1 Large 250 x 43mm: $8 posted

IG: thenameis3k9

haha thanks for that 3K9!
    Speaking of safty I've noticed ABS is a more common option on the EKs which is a big selling point
    did they come with EGs often?

So I guess the EG would be better of fuel but not as safe.

how about on the parts and reliability front, any difference being OBD2?

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si

BTW, I edited my last post after you had posted you last one. Added the sentence at the end.

I don't think EG came with ABS. Somebody back me up please. Only the SRS steering wheel option.

Who needs these aids anyway? Because RACECAR.
    The question is, are you going to drive safer with, or without it? Are you going to rely on these aids, or rely on yourself 100%? (had these discussion sometime last year during my Yr 12 Engineering Studies class)

The EKs has the red key. I think you'll need it if you get a replacement key.

Quote Originally Posted by 3K9 View Post

I don't think EG came with ABS. Somebody back me up please. Only the SRS steering wheel option. The question is, are you going to drive safer with, or without it? Are you going to rely on these aids, or rely on yourself 100%?
    While I know ABS can increase braking distance a few years back I was involed in an accident which may of been reduced if the car had abs. Since then it's something I said I should try to get in my own car when I decide to upgrade haha. It wont make a difference but it could be a peice of mind.

Shame about EGs not having it, but then I think some EKs don't either. Oh well, that is only one aspect of me choosing.

Also thanks for the very quick replies! awesome forum

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    There will always be someone online to help!

Don't forget to post on Ozhonda what you have bought, the EG or EK!

Take your time. Go and look at a variety of pics of EGs and EKs, the For Sale list on Carsales, gumtree, etc, and the parts and mods available for them. Then decide.

Also, don't bother with carby EGs. (unless you don't mind the already lack of power. lol)

Quote Originally Posted by 3K9 View Post
    Also, don't bother with carby EGs.
    Poor man's ITB haha

haha thanks for the help so far guys!

So what short of fuel economy should I be expecting from EGs and EKs? Ive seen some heaps low and seem some get around 600!
    also the chassis design, so there a noticeable differences?

Should be having a look at a few this week woo!

Member Array
    Car:
    front ender ek9
    have you consider DA9..?

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    Quote Originally Posted by axtx View Post
    haha thanks for the help so far guys!

So what short of fuel economy should I be expecting from EGs and EKs? Ive seen some heaps low and seem some get around 600!
    also the chassis design, so there a noticeable differences?

Should be having a look at a few this week woo!
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...utta-full-tank

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...s-the-question

Chassis design differences? I won't be worried about that. That's some deep engineering-racecar stuff. You'll barely even feel the chassis flex during 'normal-speed' driving. Doubt there are any released info on the Civic's rigidity testings on the chassis.

You sound like a person who wants to get the best out of your future Civic.
    Have a look at this:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...CRX-Model-Info

Mr perfectionist, (haha) just make sure that whichever the Civic you get is in overall good condition and roadworthy.