Member Array
    Car:
    CRV & Civic

CRV - Hidden USB Cable for a Portable Sat Nav

Hi,

Since I was too cheap to buy a CRV with a factory Sat Nav, I have installed concealed USB cabling to power my Garmin Nuvi 50. Thankfully this involves almost no drilling and dismantling and is reversible.

The USB cable has a female USB B at one end. The end is placed at the base of the A Pillar. I then routed the cable behind the rubber door seal, under the dash, behind the console and then through the base of the lidded console storage bin to the power outlet in the bin. To route the cable through the bin I drilled a small hole that I was able to cover up with the rubber lidded bin base.

This results in a clean, unobtrusive installation. I can now mount my Garmin with the suction cup and run a short lead to the USB port at the base of the A Pillar.

The Pictures below are from the same installation that i did to my Civic hatch.

(Note: At the other end the cable has a USB B male termination, so its easy to route into the base of the lidded console. This is plugged into a USB converter with a USB B Female at on end and a USB A male at the other end. The power outlet has a flush usb power plug, making for a compact installation)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2792.jpg 
Views:	2878 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	25924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2791.jpg 
Views:	1610 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	25925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2793.jpg 
Views:	1463 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	25926  
    Last edited by nkoulban; 14-11-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    *** It's Only a Car ***