Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help an American decide which civic to buy...

Hi folks!

I've gotten married to an aussie from Brisbane and we've decided to move to AUS!

I'm familiar with USDM Civics but not too familiar with AUS Civic models (CXi/GLi/VTi/VTi-R). I've browsed this forum and others and am not able to find a source that helps me see which model, during which year, had which options (Cruise, AC, ABS). I've seen the sticky!

1) Please tell me both out of the EG and EK civics, which models (and which years) had all of these three options: Cruise control, AC, ABS? In the U.S. the 'EX' model had all 3 of these options but also came standard with a sunroof which I do not like.

2) At this point I'm open to both a 4-door sedan or a hatchback, EG civic or EK. So please help me decide, as well, which generation and body-style to choose.

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Congrats
    I'm not a civic expert but when are you moving over?

You into modifying?
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    Welcome !

The bad news is no Civic in Australia had Cruise Control until the 8th Gen FD Civic

Only the MY95 (Late 94 onwards) EG came with Drivers SRS (Airbag) on GLi and VTi models (VTi is USDM "Si"). I have seen a 95 VTi with ABS also but this was a very late production model and not many of them around.

91-93 "Si" is powered by the DOHC PGMFi engine known as a "ZC" but it's stamped as a D16_. and runs full electrics and rear disc brakes.

in 94 they replaced the "Si" with the "VTi" which is the same car plus moon roof and SOHC VTEC motor.

The Breeze model is even more povo than the USDM 'CX' model, but has power steering at least.

The GL model has decent interior and electrics but rear drums and carby motor.

GLi model has the same interior and rear drums but gets PGMFi injected motor.

All 95 onwards EK civics have Driver and Passenger SRS and ABS as standard. Any Civic after this time also has those features.

The VTiR (EK4) is the only civic hatchback that came with the DOHC VTEC B16A2 in Australia (US-Built EM1 VTiR Coupe also) aside from the 93-97 CRX (Del Sol).

Only Manual Transmission or 'Stick' as you might call it was available with DOHC VTEC engines. If you're after an Automatic Transmission, you're stuck with the SOHC D16 motors.

95-97 EK civic's had a GLi base model including rear discs but then in 98 they replaced it with the 'CXi' model which reverted to rear drums.

The civic to buy, especially if you were to say export the car back to the States, would be an VTiR EK4 (SiR-II). The EK4 has all power options including Moon Roof, Windows, Mirrors, ABS, A/C, SRS, Alloy Wheels etc.

There are also a handful of EK9 civic Type R in the country but rarely for sale and sell fast when they do pop up.

hope that helps a little
    Last edited by VT3C; 21-11-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    There is a guy in Melbourne selling an EK9

Check cars for sale
    SSpamily

Quote Originally Posted by VT3C View Post
    Welcome !

The bad news is no Civic in Australia had Cruise Control until the 8th Gen FD Civic

The civic to buy...would be an VTiR EK4 (SiR-II). The EK4 has all power options including Moon Roof, Windows, Mirrors, ABS, A/C, SRS, Alloy Wheels etc.

hope that helps a little
    Thank you very much for a great bit of info.

1) We're moving early 2014.
    2) I basically want a low-cost, fuel efficient (less than 6.5l/100km), manual trans car with good suspension geometry (EK & below civics with double wishbone), with the three options (ABS, AC and Cruise) but without a sunroof.

I suppose I could live without cruise control. The only modifications I would do to my civic (VTiR EK4) would be AMR Coilovers, an LSD and perhaps chassis stiffening to some degree, LW wheels, conti DW tires and perhaps a shorter throw shifter. I would not do much else. BTW, can the VTiR Ek4 be had with AC, ABS but no sunroof?

I love driving when it's damp. It provides a chance to have fun with the least amount of wear and tear on car (conserves tires as well). I have good car control, have always tracked a 97 MX-5 every time its rained here.

I imagined with the intended use of my car in AUS, an eg/ek civic would make sense for me (lightweight, good suspension geometry, very fuel efficient, reliable). If you'd recommend any other cars, I would consider those as well!

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Monotube_DX View Post
    Thank you very much for a great bit of info.

1) We're moving early 2014.
    2) I basically want a low-cost, fuel efficient (less than 6.5l/100km), manual trans car with good suspension geometry (EK & below civics with double wishbone), with the three options (ABS, AC and Cruise) but without a sunroof.

I suppose I could live without cruise control. The only modifications I would do to my civic (VTiR EK4) would be AMR Coilovers, an LSD and perhaps chassis stiffening to some degree, LW wheels, conti DW tires and perhaps a shorter throw shifter. I would not do much else. BTW, can the VTiR Ek4 be had with AC, ABS but no sunroof?

I love driving when it's damp. It provides a chance to have fun with the least amount of wear and tear on car (conserves tires as well). I have good car control, have always tracked a 97 MX-5 every time its rained here.

I imagined with the intended use of my car in AUS, an eg/ek civic would make sense for me (lightweight, good suspension geometry, very fuel efficient, reliable). If you'd recommend any other cars, I would consider those as well!
    Prelude?

Or Accord?

Or miss out of CC
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenJ View Post
    Prelude?

Or Accord?

Or miss out of CC
    I'm leaning towards a four door. Accord would be too heavy. Definitely a civic in the honda family. I love integras but they can't be had with the civic fuel efficiency, perhaps same goes for a prelude. A USDM DX civic hatchback can get 40+mpg here (under 6L/100km).

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    no all EK4 have moonroof

plenty of swapped cars around though. sounds like you need an EK GLi or VTi sedan.. unless you can find a rare late MY95 EG VTi sedan with SRS and ABS, but the EG has moonroof also

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    Best I can get out my d16y4 in ek1 cxi is 7L/100km
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Quote Originally Posted by VT3C View Post
    sounds like you need an EK GLi or VTi sedan..
    You said the rare 95 VTis came with sunroofs. Are any of the EK GLi/VTi sedans AC, ABS equipped without sunroofs?

Eventually I'll go after a B7 S4 or perhaps a B7 RS4 and an NB mx-5 with FMII turbo & FCM coilovers. My current 97 NA mx-5 has these coilovers and they're incredible.

Hope youve looked into the price of vehicles here.
    Rs4 b7 is roughly $70k aud
    S4 b7 is roughly $40k aud

Also I dont know youd actually get sub 6.5l/100km out of a 90s civic but others would have more insight there

Member Array
    Car:
    BA7
    toyota life