Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo

Thumbs up Civic FD1 "Tick almost every OEM option" build

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted here on ozhonda due to the fact I work full time and also have full time uni at the same instance. Anyway, uni is over now so I just have work... yay, kudos to sitting in the office for 8 hours!

I have been meaning to write a build thread for my FD for a LONG time but just haven't had the time due to the above. So here's how the story goes...

In 2010, I bought my FD from Peter Warren Honda... brand new with a good 14KM or so on the odometer. I was pretty crap at haggling so my mother did all the nitty gritty and I just had to hand over a cheque... ended up paying $26,300 for a VTi in Sparkle grey in auto with a few minimalistic options such as reverse sensors, mud flaps, tints and visors.

How we were looking in the first week of ownership in 2010...

Basically got over the car scene after getting the Civic as I had a tastefully modded ZZE122R Corolla before the FD and vowed not to mod this one... however that all changed when I saw an ad in the classifieds in April 2011 when someone was selling a set of 15" factory alloys for $400. Rocked up and picked up 5 factory alloys for $400 and I was pretty swag happy at the time cause the dealer wanted $1300 for these when new...

In about July 2011, I suffered a heavy dose of depression and mental issues, so CBF'd putting effort into anything. I even quit work and uni at one point and stayed home. Even worse, some fool keyed the passenger door. Didn't really have the courage to do anything at all with life in general so my car sat dormant at home collecting dust... getting driven every now and again to get meds and food... recovery was slow for me and wasn't until like Christmas 2011 when I made a 90% recovery from my problems. Of course at this point my family was moving house, I was back at uni and I got a new job as well so car plans went out the door until 2013.

Come 2013 and that's when progress started to move again. My goal was to get (almost) everything on the accesory brochure before 2013 ended. At first I was pretty dis satisfied with the audio system now that I listened to it closely... so open an online brochure and boom, Honda made the "Bass works kit" for the FD... $565 down and I got some pretty awesome tunes playing.

Probably about a 1 to 2 month gap and someone mentioned that fog lights cost $600 to install so once again I had a look into that... didn't go for fog lights at first but instead went for the ambient lighting kit and the bluetooth... so $950 down for the pair and yeah...

One week later... got my fog lights installed at the dealership for $580.

Got a boot mat as well for $110 off eBay shipped from VIC... (Why don't I have pictures of this?)

Anyway...

I started to notice that my door sills were getting pretty scratched up so I remembered Honda sold door sill garnishes with lights on them, since a friend had them but I hate lights... so I asked if they had no lights and yes they did. $147 for a set of non-lighted sills.

Still had Honda fever at this point so I pushed on and I'd remember every single paycheck went to the dealer for a good 2 months... next on the list was a little one. Went through the brochure and saw drink holders so I paid the $77 for the pair and this is what I had in my rear doors! (don't mind the bed sheets)

and another little mod to the rear end for $55 at the dealership. OEM exhaust garnish!

We've approached September 2013 at this point so Honda fever was wearing off a bit but not for long. Someone told me I could get the genuine Modulo bodykit for about $3500... determined as always I WANTED THIS. Working long overtime hours for a good 7 weeks up until last few weeks and I drag my butt out to the dealership once again.

"Hi, I'd like the Modulo bodykit for my 2010 Civic VTI sedan... here's my debit card, take what you want" were the words I said to the service advisor. "Is $3110 okay with you and also 4 week wait sir?... that includes painting + fitting as well"

SURE! (cheaper than the $3500 I saved up with all those OT hours though)

Just got a call last week telling me everything just arrived from Japan so I am just waiting for next week to come so I can get my kit installed!

Will post photos soon! (once my kit is on).

Oh... how we are sitting at about now... a bit high but no lowering sorry. I need to be able to get into my driveway!

FUTURE PLANS:
    * 17" Enkei EV5 wheels in bronze
    * Rear window visor
    * Stick on M3 lip spoiler off eBay :P

Thanks.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 25-11-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Bagged FD Civic
    nice build, so many OEM parts.

i would suggest IF going for that OEM look still are dc5 type S wheels OR euro Sport wheels both in 17". i like the type S wheels on our cars

type S wheels on my car on stock height

good job. no make that great job.

adding options on the car is fun, there were a set of luxman tweeters for my car on ebay, unfortunately, they are the wrong color. but had they been the right one, id jump on them straightaway.

AUDM cars are so poorly equipped, its like we get the barebones of everything even on what is supposed to be the range topping car.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by jprak View Post
    nice build, so many OEM parts.

i would suggest IF going for that OEM look still are dc5 type S wheels OR euro Sport wheels both in 17". i like the type S wheels on our cars

type S wheels on my car on stock height
    I was considering the Type S DC5 wheels if I could track a set down since the offset is spot on +45. Originally I wanted the 17" Modulo wheels in bronze but then a quote of $300 per wheel kinda threw me off a bit (who knows, might end up getting them)... then I saw Enkei EV5 imported from the USA and that was bronze as well and also spot on +45 offset.

IMO, Euro Sport wheels would look great but offset is +55 so it didn't really compute in my head... but then I think DC5R uses the same wheels?

Member Array
    Car:
    Bagged FD Civic
    ^ i got a set for sale, pm me and we'll sort something out

euro sport fits fine on our cars. type Rs use 16" rims while the JDM spec uses the 17" ver aka the euro sport wheels.

You could have saved some money by getting some basic LED strips, cutting them to a size you like and wiring them all up.

From what i have seen, hondas one is rather basic while being pricy

I got some LED strips from jaycar and wired them up, all for about $40

Front

Rear

But overall, looks good.
    Last edited by Grayfox; 25-11-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    You could have saved some money by getting some basic LED strips, cutting them to a size you like and wiring them all up.

From what i have seen, hondas one is rather basic while being pricy

I got some LED strips from jaycar and wired them up, all for about $40

Front

Rear

But overall, looks good.
    That looks really good actually. Mines a little dim but in one way I wanted that OEM sort of thing with the button and such next to the vsa switch to activate and deactivate the lights. The OEM kit is $140, bit pricey but yeah not too bright so I don't get too distracted. One other thing that I was concerned about the interior led was legality issues because apparently you cant have footwell lighting either? Cop pulls up, I just have to press a button and hey officer! LOL

Footwell lights are legal.

It would be illegal to offer them if they were not.

To make the OEM ones brighter you can remove some tape that is inside them.
    This makes them brighter.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    Footwell lights are legal.

It would be illegal to offer them if they were not.

To make the OEM ones brighter you can remove some tape that is inside them.
    This makes them brighter.
    I just thought there was an examption if they were OEM like HIDs... but I couldn't find any info on legality of footwell lights so I will assume that they are legal regardless.

Anyway, I was planning to replace the LED globes in the footwell lighting clusters sometime down the line to a slightly brighter globe (not too bright). It's made up of two LED bulbs in each cluster, so I figured I could probably crack them open and solder new bulbs in? may work?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTI 2007
    really great progress on the car! all these options are getting me eager to spend my own money on them haha, just out of curiosity, how much did they quote for the illuminated door sills? wouldnt mind a set for mine!

and does anyone know if we can still get oem accessories from honda for our fd civics?

Stevo,
    Have you considered 06-08 Civic sport wheels. They are enkei, Civic, OEM and the right offset and size.
    And in my opinion look just great on our cars.
    Your car looks fantastic by the way.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Love how you're going with an all out OEM build. But those stock wheels are a disaster! Please update with new wheels ASAP. Would love to see the mentioned fd2 sport enkeis on.
    i live my life full boost, one gear at a time.