Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    the more i read into it im inclined to agree, look at f1 cars not a slot or cross drill in sight.
    Difference is that f1 brakes are carbon carbon...
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    I assume Dread is talking about hairline cracks on the holes,maybe he can confirm?

its interdasting though,majority of the big name brake makers use slots or crossdrill

Endless ProjectMu AP etc. etc. so makes you wonder is it marketing or based on r&d results

also I think the main goal is the pad staying within its heat range regardless of rotor design

since youre comparing F1 with honda civics,may as well throw in that nearly all sport bikes use drilled rotors too,even with such a thin disc

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    very true... hmm the more i read the more im inclined to belive it just bling though
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    what happened to them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    DA isnt into give us all the answers, we gotta earn the knowledge.
    end of the day the consensus of people in the know seem to agree blank is superior, even if slotting or dross drilling makes a difference (hasnt been definitively proven) it dosnt justify the sometimes double or tripple price tag.
    thanks guys.
    Lol not that, usually I have to run off do something else so drop a hint, other times can sit down and type out an answer hehehe

BUT yes you all gotta earn the knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    I assume Dread is talking about hairline cracks on the holes,maybe he can confirm?

its interdasting though,majority of the big name brake makers use slots or crossdrill

Endless ProjectMu AP etc. etc. so makes you wonder is it marketing or based on r&d results

also I think the main goal is the pad staying within its heat range regardless of rotor design

since youre comparing F1 with honda civics,may as well throw in that nearly all sport bikes use drilled rotors too,even with such a thin disc
    Indeed I am! Hairline cracks that start from the holes as very very miniature cracks on the circumference of the hole then stretching across the diameter of the disc then kaput. Its not only Skyline GT-Rs that have this issue, numerous other manufacturers and aftermarket ones have this issue to varying degrees too. To check, just google your brand and cross drilled and cracking to see first if its a common theme, remember to check what conditions they're being used under too. Many people have the combination completely wrong [Underspec'd Disc + Highly Abrasive Pads = Dead Disc] so obviously ignore these ones. Also note the country they're used in, some countries that experience more varied/extreme temp changes to Australia may also have different issues.

Endless, Project Mu, AP, etc. From what I've seen have not had issues when matched up correctly [I've not googled this so don't take my word, only from my own projects and others I've worked on], perhaps a little of marketing, afterall many people [Myself included] love the looks of slots and or cross drilled. They do have disclaimers iirc regarding their use too

On a side note, more and more companies are using 'dimple' or a special form of dimple like Endless E-Slits [Which is a combination of Slots and Dimple]. These work in similar fashion as the cross drilled except without drilled all the way through so the disc's integrity remains more intact than being drilled

The way I usually select it:
    NB - This selection is usually for mild to moderate applications without looking at BBKs, etc.

#1 - Application - Street, Street + Spirited, Semi-Race, Race, etc
    #2 - Tyres - With so many cars with ABS/EBC/etc this is a little more obscure but if you're like me and usually don't run ABS then its quite important to match up your tyres and braking power. Locking up because brakes too powerful or inadequate braking technique isn't going to do you any good.
    #3 - Pads - Next on the list is pads, this way I know what temperatures and μ the disc can expect.
    #4 - Disc - Now I can select the disc, afterall the disc are there to withstand the temperatures and pressures so its best to leave them till last. Select the disc made from material right for your application [Cast to Aircraft Material/Ceramic/Carbon/etc] with the right treatment [Heat Treated, Zinc Coated, etc] and face type [Plain/Blank, Slotted, Cross Drilled, Dimpled, Combination].

I might be making a Tech writeup for brakes, but gotta finish suspension first XD
    Last edited by DreadAngel; 15-12-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter