Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a FN2R!

Buying a FN2R!

Hi guys, im looking to purchase an FN2R, i have done my home-work on them already. I have noticed this car has been for sale for about 5 weeks now, does anyone know any more about this particular car? (I am located in QLD). Only thing I can see from the pictures is the dirty floormats which I have been reassured the car has not been flooded but would still get it all checked out anyway. Any information posted would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.trivett.com.au/SearchDeta...menttype=price

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    If you are from Queensland, why not purchase the car locally? I can see why you looked interstate tho lol, the km are low and price is pretty good. As for the floor mats, as i am aware they get dirty easy, plus being washed and left to dry in the sun, they fade. If the car was flooded, you could have the car's vin checked and also have a mechanic look over the car. Hope this helps, Gl and welcome to the FN2R club.

Most of the ones I have looked at in QLD have been pretty ordinary. Most people are asking around 25,000+ for 2007 cars and won't budge on price so I think interstate is the way to go. Is there anything major to look for, I will be compression testing the engine, checking for accident damage and flood damage. The only real problem I can find from researching is the 3rd gear being worn. Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    The main issues would be:

3rd gear being worn
    Squeeky clutches
    Worn CV's (turn the wheel full lock while accelerating slowly, similar to if you were in a car park. Repeat both driving forward and reversing, and turning both ways. If they are worn or require greasing they will click).

Other minor but annoying issues are:

Sub frame slip (when accelerating or braking, or sometimes when hitting a considerable bump you may here a metallic 'snap' sound, this is the sub frame slipping. You will need to regrease the sub frame).
    Creaking or clicking from the rear suspension (generally only first thing in the morning, and that single time. If possible request that the car isn't driven or moved for at least 8 hours or so just in case (overnight).
    Gaitor peeling - Honda cheaped out on the late gen Civics (including the FD) and the gaitors often peel at around 40,000kms (a lot have reported much earlier). Easy, simple and cheap to replace but annoying that Honda would do this.
    Wiper motors - Check to make sure that at the end of the wipers travel, it stops at it's 'original' start position and not an inch or 2 above. To confirm the original starting position, lift the wipers up and then drop them (usually there will be a pretty prominant line or dirt or greasy outline where it's meant to stop anyway so it would be obvious). If it stops a bit above the motors are getting weak and will require replacing soon. It will generally be pretty intermittent unless the motors are extremely worn.

Other than that the car is pretty realiable and quirk free. It's surprising the amount of minor niggles the FN2 has but I guess that's part of it being made in England lol

Awesome thanks for that info, haha there is always going to some small faults with every car. I'm just saving a tiny bit more money so I can buy an 09 or above model, plenty of cars for sale at the moment, some good buys out there.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Cool. If you're buying 09 and above, if budget allows, make sure you get one with LSD =]

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG, RB3
    09 models are the ones that started included LSD, i think youll be hard pressed to find an 09 fn2 without LSD, so i think youll be set for that

Yeah thats what I thought, all MY09 models and above came with LSD standard. It looks like the car I linked in the original post ended up selling which is a bit of a shame. I think I will have to wait a few weeks until this uni semester is over before starting the search again. Will keep everyone updated.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    After May/June from memory guys. An early 09' FN2 doesn't have LSD =]

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FN2 / S2K
    make sure you check all buttons and controls if they are still in good working order.

also ask where the car is normally park as it would indicate if theres any possible oil leaks.

go interstate and enjoy the road trip and bonding tym wif the new fn2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD 1 2006 VTIL
    hey guys which would you go with
    2007 - Black - 75000kms - $22,000
    or
    2010 - Black - 20,000kms - $30,000

Is it worth forking out the extra 8,000?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD 1 2006 VTIL
    my budget is 22,000 ish, just not sure if i should go get a bank loan and go for the newer one.

opinions please