Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast
    The problem with these motors/boxes, is that they sit at a different angle to any of the others, (more forward lean than say a Teg B18a1),except maybe the A20a's that were the norm here. Don't know if the bell housings match or if their trannys would fit etc. Finding an A20a now would be almost as hard. About the only other option is a full transplant to something later, but that would also require an EFI update as well, custom made mounts, etc, etc.

I've still got this B20a auto, hasn't been driven for a good few years and I only got to drive it round my back yard so it never got out of 2nd. Was always impressed that there was no delay in shifting from drive to reverse from a stop. Had 150000K on it. Courier cost would be the worst part.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM 87 Aerodeck
    Quote Originally Posted by hondapop View Post
    The problem with these motors/boxes, is that they sit at a different angle to any of the others, (more forward lean than say a Teg B18a1),except maybe the A20a's that were the norm here. Don't know if the bell housings match or if their trannys would fit etc. Finding an A20a now would be almost as hard. About the only other option is a full transplant to something later, but that would also require an EFI update as well, custom made mounts, etc, etc.

I've still got this B20a auto, hasn't been driven for a good few years and I only got to drive it round my back yard so it never got out of 2nd. Was always impressed that there was no delay in shifting from drive to reverse from a stop. Had 150000K on it. Courier cost would be the worst part.
    Is it the JDM b20a ? Those are quite rare aren't they ? Hmm... I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade. Obviously a full fuel delivery system swap would be in order - which I've heard sucks so many dicks.

The car it came out of was most likely a Euro sedan luxury model because it didn't have the "Vigor" name across the back in a garnish between the tail lights (saw one of those in a wrecker). They were introduced there in '87, although the Vigor with B20a was in Japan since that model's inception. It was reputedly an '86 model (build date plate was missing unfortunately). From what I read on that German website, the Euro's came with fixed H/lights, but the JDM's had the pop-ups. This one had the pop-ups but as I said, no Vigor garnish. Maybe an early trial shipment. It never ceases to amaze me the plethora of models and short run models with every engine/trans/trim variation produced by Honda. Other makers have tried and it's sent them broke, but not Honda. Came across a JDM CRX EF7? with ZC DOHC automatic the other day, most of the auto's seen here are twin carb.

Upgrading from carby to EFI is not something to take on lightly. Fuel system has a return line, not sure if the pump can be fitted into the tank, then there's the wiring and ECU.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM 87 Aerodeck
    The car it came out of was most likely a Euro sedan luxury model because it didn't have the "Vigor" name across the back in a garnish between the tail lights (saw one of those in a wrecker). They were introduced there in '87, although the Vigor with B20a was in Japan since that model's inception. It was reputedly an '86 model (build date plate was missing unfortunately). From what I read on that German website, the Euro's came with fixed H/lights, but the JDM's had the pop-ups. This one had the pop-ups but as I said, no Vigor garnish. Maybe an early trial shipment. It never ceases to amaze me the plethora of models and short run models with every engine/trans/trim variation produced by Honda. Other makers have tried and it's sent them broke, but not Honda. Came across a JDM CRX EF7? with ZC DOHC automatic the other day, most of the auto's seen here are twin carb.

Upgrading from carby to EFI is not something to take on lightly. Fuel system has a return line, not sure if the pump can be fitted into the tank, then there's the wiring and ECU.
    Hm. Odd. All euro Aerodecks have pop-ups. I have seen a few sedans with pop-ups too, but you're right - primarily fixed.

That's really odd. Maybe you're right. Who knows. Without papers I guess it's a complete mystery. Haha

Yes, you're right. I've even been given information by a chap in NZ who has both the B18A and B20A (they got both pop-up and fixed funnily enough. But how could they not given their import laws) and he's actually swapped the b20 head onto the b18a. he said it was remarkable difference but obviously because of the fuel delivery system change it really wasn't worth it. Especially since I was in Australia where we got the bottom run of everything

My friend has built an amazing carby late 80s ed. He has inspired me to build the b18a into a beast. hard work, but hopefully it'll all begin with the manual swap.

In that article I was referring to it said the fixed lights were standard in Japan and only some special editions such as the Accord Vigor and your Aerodeck got the pop-ups (nick-named "bedroom eyes")

It did also say that a manual transmission for the B20a could be ordered. A B18a1 trans may fit, but as I mentioned the angle the engines and trans sit at in the bay are different, the B18a1 is more upright. The architecture of the a1 and all other later B series engines is different to the early ones, The heads are not interchangeable, neither are the manifolds.

You could possibly do a carby conversion onto an a1 or better, a B18b or B20b.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM 87 Aerodeck
    In that article I was referring to it said the fixed lights were standard in Japan and only some special editions such as the Accord Vigor and your Aerodeck got the pop-ups (nick-named "bedroom eyes")

It did also say that a manual transmission for the B20a could be ordered. A B18a1 trans may fit, but as I mentioned the angle the engines and trans sit at in the bay are different, the B18a1 is more upright. The architecture of the a1 and all other later B series engines is different to the early ones, The heads are not interchangeable, neither are the manifolds.

You could possibly do a carby conversion onto an a1 or better, a B18b or B20b.
    Ehhh I will try my best with the engine I have. I'm reluctant to do the fuel delivery system conversion. It's a big job and one that is no required at the moment. The car runs well and with some final tune ups it will run better and the mods can start flowing in.

Speaking of which I had a bunch of stickers recreated today - the original ACCORD AERODECK sticker for the back an a "Let's Lock Up" written in Japanese for the doors. They were originally on there but I can see they've been torn off. :'(

I got 3 ACCORD AERODECK stickers but I messed the first one up and put it on crooked. The second one (pictured) looks much neater and is only out by less than half a mm. The one on the door looks crooked but it's just the way I took the picture. :3

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Oooooh yeah
    Got tha chair sittin there mirin that work!
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM 87 Aerodeck
    Heyo been a while. Here's some pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11054846_985390044818605_5429096427347975457_o.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	28497

Name:	11263108_985399771484299_4920657890589288192_o.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	28498

Name:	11243997_985400214817588_696116929379545220_o.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	28499

I also managed to pick these up

Name:	10173820_998924183465191_3642033248820178035_n.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	28500

Super rare JDM auto-cover fogights. Never seen them before ? Here's a video of the same ones but branded for the teg.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM 87 Aerodeck
    And the biggest update !!! This came in yesterday !

Name:	11222358_1006975319326744_1914989604463650861_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	28502

The JDM digi-dash. Quite possibly the hardest thing to get for this car. I managed to test it last night; check it out !!

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    s2k like

Not my cup o' tea. Give me dials with needles everytime, have hated digital dash displays ever since the one in the XF Falcon I had. Nothing like the swing around the dial of the Tacho needle. If anything says high performance vehicle, that does. And when you're cruising down the highway @ 100-110Kph (mustn't say more, not allowed), you're not bothered by the constant 100,101,99,98,102,101,103 etc etc changing of the display. A nice coffee table (or bar top) conversation piece, but leave out of the car.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM 87 Aerodeck
    Quote Originally Posted by Dxs View Post
    s2k like
    Probs where the inspiration for the S2K cluster came from

Not my cup o' tea. Give me dials with needles everytime, have hated digital dash displays ever since the one in the XF Falcon I had. Nothing like the swing around the dial of the Tacho needle. If anything says high performance vehicle, that does. And when you're cruising down the highway @ 100-110Kph (mustn't say more, not allowed), you're not bothered by the constant 100,101,99,98,102,101,103 etc etc changing of the display. A nice coffee table (or bar top) conversation piece, but leave out of the car.
    Blasphemy !!!!!
    >