Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo

Double sided tape woes

Okay, so I got side skirts installed at the dealership and I'm pretty cool with them as they look great, but I seem to be having a problem with the stickiness of the skirts to the car.

If you're in Sydney, you would have realised all that hardcore heat we've had for the past few days. This took a toll on my sideskirts for some reason.

My car sits under a carport and does get a bit of sun on it from 9AM to 12PM as the sun is angled that way, at other times it's covered by the carport. Now, the side which the sun shines on... the edges of my side skirt are coming off! The side of the car which receives NO sun is stuck firmly with no problems... um...

Just a light push and they stuck back on extremely hard so it's no biggie, but I don't understand why this has happened. This is the ORIGINAL (I assume 3M) tape that comes on the side skirt from the Honda factory... I had these skirts installed 3 weeks ago, no problem until a few days ago when I moved the car from the indoor garage to the carport where it receives hardcore heat and sunlight.

Is the Aussie heat just TOO much for double sided tape?

maybe wasnt prepped or stuck on properly to begin with

3M tape shit is strong enough for side skirts easy. rain, heat etc shouldn't do much
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    I would take it back to the dealership. As above, surface might not have been prepped correctly and tape is not adhering properly.

Either way, defs take it back and get them to redo it.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    sounds like the plastic warped, not necessarily the tape. Either way, take it back to the dealer as they should warrant their product.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Probably should add that about 3 days in, I did have a gap issue with the front end of the left skirt, took it back to the dealer and in 15 minutes they fixed it... that was about 2 weeks ago. Within the 2 weeks, everything was fine and no problems. Come hot day and both the unrepaired section at the back AND the newly fixed at the front of the skirt both came apart :O

I will speak to them once the new year comes as I think they are closed right now for xmas.

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    if you got skirts fitting at a dealer technically it should be coming off at all because they bolt on underneath as well as each end.

check the if they installed the lip properly with the bolts.

and yes adhesion would be a factor the tape not sticking.
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

add more bolts in to secure it. but find locations where it isnt noticable....

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post
    maybe wasnt prepped or stuck on properly to begin with

3M tape shit is strong enough for side skirts easy. rain, heat etc shouldn't do much
    Remember how I said I went back to the dealer once already about the front part of my left skirt not adhering, you are correct, seems like they didn't stick it on properly. It fell out again this morning! Closer inspection and yes, there is tape there BUT they're using INDOOR double sided tape to fix it. Taking matters into my own hands now and ordering OUTDOOR automotive grade 3M tape (the grey stuff).

WHY is it EVERYTIME I go to ANY dealer with anything, they never get it done properly?! I swear I could do a better job with DIY and save $$$, but car is still under warranty
    Last edited by stevo1210; 27-12-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo1210 View Post
    Remember how I said I went back to the dealer once already about the front part of my left skirt not adhering, you are correct, seems like they didn't stick it on properly. It fell out again this morning! Closer inspection and yes, there is tape there BUT they're using INDOOR double sided tape to fix it. Taking matters into my own hands now and ordering OUTDOOR automotive grade 3M tape (the grey stuff).

WHY is it EVERYTIME I go to ANY dealer with anything, they never get it done properly?! I swear I could do a better job with DIY and save $$$, but car is still under warranty
    don't let that warranty thing stop you with things like this. If you install a kit yourself an you get paint flaking on your roof, it's not going to affect your claim. or if your engine blows up.

IIRC they should be sikaflexing the lips on, not double sided tape

but either way dealers will try to save a buck using a quicker method/cheaper bonding agent. They're a business after all
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    don't let that warranty thing stop you with things like this. If you install a kit yourself an you get paint flaking on your roof, it's not going to affect your claim. or if your engine blows up.

IIRC they should be sikaflexing the lips on, not double sided tape

but either way dealers will try to save a buck using a quicker method/cheaper bonding agent. They're a business after all
    This... Having worked in a service department, can tell you if they can give a ****, it'll be done right...

Other times fark...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    there is another 3m called VHB which is clear,not foam

its so strong often the bonded parts will tear/rip before the tape bond breaks..

its used for glass and building trade

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    there is another 3m called VHB which is clear,not foam

its so strong often the bonded parts will tear/rip before the tape bond breaks..

its used for glass and building trade
    I reckon that's a bit TOO strong for what I need. May end up parting out in the future and well... VHB and paint don't go well together lol. I think my RTA provided eTag for the M5 used something like VHB... it was clear and it stuck like a mofo and I broke the bracket trying to remove it.

There is also another gap on my rear lip! The gap was smaller (4CM or so) before I washed the car but now it's like 10cm long and a good 5mm or so. Yes, I did complain about that one to the dealer too but they said they can't fix it because of the curvature of the bumper so I have to live with it.

I'm going to try to find a way to expand that gap another few mm and shove 3M double sided tape down it to seal the gap. I was hoping that paying over $3000 for a factory kit would mean a perfect fit with no gaps but I guess I was expecting too much. :-/
    Last edited by stevo1210; 27-12-2013 at 06:52 PM.