Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noob Question On Rebuilding Engines

Hey guys, I'm new around here so cut me some slack if I ask some obvious questions. I'm going to be purchasing a Vti-R Integra soon and I plan to do some work on the engine. I'd ideally like to purchase a rebuild kit and do it myself the only thing is I have no idea how an engine is put together and where things go. Are there any DVD's or YouTube channels that would be perfect for teaching me how to do it. Any help is much appreciated.
    Cheers guys!
    EDIT: Also YouTube channels that would be good for learning how installing headers/exhaust systems would be great, other than MCM.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    best way is to download a honda service manual and follow that.
    if your tool kit is the average $150 socket set, you definitely cant diy. well.. you can. its your engine lol.

probs need extra $700 for teles. bore gauge, straight edge, micrometer, torque wrench, ring compressor and lots of other specific tools.

your measurement will be as accurate as your least accurate measuring tool so buy the best you can afford like mitutoyo or starret, $2k is good budget for toolkit.

i rkn you should approach diy rebuild not with "trying to save money" attitude but because you want to learn and have fun building it yourself.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    personally i wouldnt DIY engine rebuild if you are also asking how to DIY header and exhaust installation.

anyway, this video doesnt show how to rebuild engine, but it shows you components of the engine.
    good starting point.

and buy this book for reference.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Civ...3271eb6&_uhb=1

but cross reference with the workshop manual.
    http://hondatech.info/search/integra/p://
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Eric the sunglasses!
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I see now that a diy engine rebuild is probably better to learn on some cheap engine from the scrap yard or something .

Quote Originally Posted by Jumanji View Post
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I see now that a diy engine rebuild is probably better to learn on some cheap engine from the scrap yard or something .
    Mate

An engine rebuild is left to mechanics you trust or a close mate who is very good at DIY - nit something you can do yourself in any way or form.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Though buying an el cheapo engine from the scrapyard
    And tearing it down, then putting it back together - will be a good start (even if its put back together not well :P)
    As everyone said familiarize yourself with engine basics, internals, basic principles of the combustion engine etc.
    Work from there
    It takes years - just like an hobby or interest to be good at
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Thanks for the help guys

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Couple of spare engines at my house if you wanna screw around with one

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    teach him how to dougie

ok jerod
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Mate

An engine rebuild is left to mechanics you trust or a close mate who is very good at DIY - nit something you can do yourself in any way or form.
    this seems like not makes sense

people cant do it themselves but a mate can diy it?

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    this seems like not makes sense

people cant do it themselves but a mate can diy it?
    Read it agin you nong. It makes sense. ( apart from my typo which should of read "not" not "nit"
    it says to trust a mechanic or a close mate who is very good at DIY.