Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Have you had someone actually look at this yet. I don't know what your model is like, but the Honda's I'm familiar with all have fluid connections by hoses to the radiator to cool the transmission. Your description of when it failed sounds awfully like a burst hose squirting trans fluid all over an exhaust manifold. Lost fluid=lost drive?

Quote Originally Posted by hondapop View Post
    Have you had someone actually look at this yet. I don't know what your model is like, but the Honda's I'm familiar with all have fluid connections by hoses to the radiator to cool the transmission. Your description of when it failed sounds awfully like a burst hose squirting trans fluid all over an exhaust manifold. Lost fluid=lost drive?
    That was the first thing the guy at Honda thought - that it was just low in fluid. After they had a closer look at it they said the gearbox was done. I'm awaiting a second opinion from a transmission shop.

If the car was driving OK beforehand, then whatever happened was a catastrophic failure somewhere. If it has what's called an "open differential" and not a "limited slip" type, then a broken spider pinion shaft also sounds a likely culprit (breaks and gets thrown through the diff casing). If that's so, then a total replacement is the only option. Not common on Autos, usually the result of much wheelspinning i.e. one wheel in mud trying to get unstuck. (or burnouts, tut,tut)

Verdict is in. Heat exchanger crapped itself or blocked up, resulting in the A/T overheating and self destructing. So the whole lot is a mess. Complete rebuild of the A/T plus a replacement heat exchanger - $5000. On top of that it's due a 200k service which was quoted as around $1000. Plus some minor left overs from last service so looking at well over $6k to get it back on the road. It's a nice car but not sure it's worth spending that sort of money on it. Will probably get it towed back home and ponder for a bit.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Put the money in then sell it
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Checking prices the car is probably only worth 6-7k.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Do you have full comp. insurance on it?

Yeah ...

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster

Heat exchanger eh! Certainly sounds a lot more complex than just a pipe through the bottom of the radiator. And all we really want is a car that gets us there (and back) in comfort. As it wasn't an accident (for insurance), I doubt there'll be joy there. (check with them though) If the current value is only equal to the repair, sell it for what you can get immediately, don't waste money getting it towed home (then again to the wreckers). Ring up and get an offer and get it out of the mechanics before they start charging storage fees. Wrecking a car at home can be a long drawn out exercise. Real bad luck mate.

Yeah been there done that. Wrecked a Hilux Surf after it got tapped into a parked car. Piece by piece, sold on eBay. Took about a year. I don't think the Honda would have the same parts market though.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    op, delete thread.

you know what to do.
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe