Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R

Few questions about the 2006-2008 civic

Hey guys I am looking into buying a 06-08 civic. I just had a few questions to ask some owners. It will be manual, not sure on what model yet. Depending if i can bargain down the price itll be a sport or a vti-l or just a vti.

Is there much modding potential if i get the R18 engine?
    Does the k20z put out any noticeable power?
    The gearbox in them any good?

If you could inform me on more information it;ll be great! Really looking forward to it. I use to own a DC2R but got into an accident with it so I want something more reliable for the moment.

Hello Danny and welcome to the 8th Gen section

In terms of mods for the R18 and the K20z there isnt much out there besides the basic mods. Intake, exhaust, Suspension and other small bolt-ons.
    The K20z2 motor puts out 155hp so there isnt alot of power but enough to have some fun in. But coming from a B18c7 it wouldnt feel the same.
    No vtec crossover or any of that. As the new iVtec engines are all electronic and design for saving fuel and all that jibber jabber.
    But with the correct mods these civics can corner pretty good and stick to the inside and go where you need it to go.
    I've raced my civic against Skylines, Silvias and Subarus. They take me on the straight but when a curve comes up or a round about.
    I gain on them so hard its almost bumper to bumper. Then their turbo kicks in and it repeats.

Overall I love my 8th gen civic. Sometimes I wish there was a bit more power.

If I were you I probably be looking into EP3 or Corolla Sportivos. Sportivos are beasts. Their lift and crossover sounds EXACTLY like a B Series engine.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FD2. 2.0
    Got my sport yesterday. Very nice handling car stock. Better than my old fn2 type s. A lot of fun on curves not lightning fast but good enough combined with the economy

Member Array
    Car:
    Fd1, Ge
    I agree with honda_fd. I own stock fd1 2011 vti manual. Don't expect much power from this car. It is designed to be comfortable cruiser with fuel economy. So, I don't even bother to mod. Especially, you came from dc2r.
    With fun factor is relative. My jazz ge1 2012 with only 1.3 L engine, for me is more fun than my fd1. I can revv it like mad without breaking the road rule (because it is slow, lol) cornering like go kart, and functional.
    Good luck with your searching.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1
    Modding potential on the engine itself, not a whole lot for performance improvement. There appears to be quantifiable (but not substantial) gains by installing a throttle body spacer, and pulley kits. (Subjective gains, well, that's a different story)

From what I've been told (and I haven't experienced this first hand), there isn't much difference between the FD1 and FD2 in terms of pickup/speed, because the FD2 is heavier than the FD1, despite the difference in horsepower on paper.

In terms of reliability, I bought mine brand new and have had no problems with it at all. It's a great daily car, it's comfortable, it's spacious (enough), it's reliable...but yeah, it just lacks a bit of power haha.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda_FD View Post
    Hello Danny and welcome to the 8th Gen section

In terms of mods for the R18 and the K20z there isnt much out there besides the basic mods. Intake, exhaust, Suspension and other small bolt-ons.
    The K20z2 motor puts out 155hp so there isnt alot of power but enough to have some fun in. But coming from a B18c7 it wouldnt feel the same.
    No vtec crossover or any of that. As the new iVtec engines are all electronic and design for saving fuel and all that jibber jabber.
    But with the correct mods these civics can corner pretty good and stick to the inside and go where you need it to go.
    I've raced my civic against Skylines, Silvias and Subarus. They take me on the straight but when a curve comes up or a round about.
    I gain on them so hard its almost bumper to bumper. Then their turbo kicks in and it repeats.

Overall I love my 8th gen civic. Sometimes I wish there was a bit more power.

If I were you I probably be looking into EP3 or Corolla Sportivos. Sportivos are beasts. Their lift and crossover sounds EXACTLY like a B Series engine.
    Thanks for the info! I dont really mind with the lack of power but knowing that it has potential for some turns, it sparked my interest.
    I would love to get a ep3 but they are just too expensive for my budget at the moment. The sportivos are all in pretty bad shape for the price i am willing to pay for them.
    I could get a civic with under 100km's for under 10 whilst the sportivos are selling for around the same price and knowing them they have all been through a bashing.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkerry View Post
    Modding potential on the engine itself, not a whole lot for performance improvement. There appears to be quantifiable (but not substantial) gains by installing a throttle body spacer, and pulley kits. (Subjective gains, well, that's a different story)

From what I've been told (and I haven't experienced this first hand), there isn't much difference between the FD1 and FD2 in terms of pickup/speed, because the FD2 is heavier than the FD1, despite the difference in horsepower on paper.

In terms of reliability, I bought mine brand new and have had no problems with it at all. It's a great daily car, it's comfortable, it's spacious (enough), it's reliable...but yeah, it just lacks a bit of power haha.
    Thanks for the insight. I just really wanted to get some info from actual owners of the cars. They seem like real reliable and comfy cars, thats why I am just looking for a daily. Just wanted to see the modding potential in them.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    FD1 love being boosted, even at a crappy 7 psi my Civic puts out a lazy 148kw and 260nm at the wheels, stock clutch and gearbox is plenty strong enough.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    FD1 love being boosted, even at a crappy 7 psi my Civic puts out a lazy 148kw and 260nm at the wheels, stock clutch and gearbox is plenty strong enough.
    Woah, too bad I'm stuck on p's but definetly something I would look into after my p's

Quote Originally Posted by itsdannyy View Post
    Woah, too bad I'm stuck on p's but definetly something I would look into after my p's
    FD2T He used to live down the road from me.
    His OzHonda name is xenonkuraz

Build -
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ght=xenonkuraz

Last edited by Honda_FD; 04-02-2014 at 07:33 PM.