Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD 1 2006 VTIL

$1500 for shocks, springs and tyres. What to do?

Hi guys,

I have a 2006 FD civic, I am currently running

Front: 255/40 17x8
    Rear: 235/45 17x8

I have been advised that the rear shock is worn/sagging and I needed to replace shocks. I have noticed tyre rub when carrying passengers going through bumpy roads. Tyres have came over from previous car and still fairly new.

I want to be able to drive the car normally and not scrape even with passengers going through corners at a good speed. At the same time, I want the car to look good without any scraping at all. Excludes rolling garuds.

Im looking to have the car lowered on brand new shock and springs? Any recommendations for stiffer shock/spring setups?

Will i be ditching my current tyres and buying new ones?

Only budgeted $1500 for tyres, shocks and springs

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Simon

Will have change from $1500 for koni shocks and eibach springs
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Hi Simon.
    $1500 will be a bit tight for suspension mod and tyres aswell. Its hard trying to get the best of both worlds.
    But is still doable.

From what I've read you are only getting rubbing issues because your tyres are too big.
    Our 8th Gen civics will have trouble running anything over 225. So If i were you I would go for skinnier tyres.
    If you want maximum grip with a chance of rubbing durring heavy cornering then 225/40 if not then go for 215/40
    but sacrificing grip. Which wont even be noticable going from 225 to 215. Then sell your old tyres so you get something back

And as of Suspension wise. I Personally would save my money a little bit more and go for coilovers.
    The only reason I would pick coilovers over Shocks+Springs combo is because Height Adjustments, Damper Adjustments, Custom Spring Rates
    And that coilovers is one complete unit. But thats me personally.

But if you are on a tight budget and cannot wait then I would go to the Wreckers (HondaWorld in Clayton) and find a Civic and get the rear shocks from that
    But you should have enough to Shocks+Springs King Springs, Eibach Pro Series, Skunk2 or Megan Racing
    Which I can get them ordered for you.

BUT! If you want coilovers I can get you BC BR Gold Series, Custom Spring Rates if desired or standard rates at 6:6 and also comes with 12 Month Warranty
    and I think the price was $1150 for OzHonda Members. But you have to install them yourself.

I hope thats helped.
    Bit hard trying to go for function and comfort at the same time lol.
    But let me know if you decide to go with coilovers and I'll point you to the right direction
    As I'm from Melbourne too so its a lot easier.

With these you will have money left over to get some Damper Adjustable Shocks

http://store.skunk2.com/suspension-t...g-springs.html

http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...d=468&catid=44

+

http://www.koni.com/car-racing/products/sport-tuning/
    Last edited by Honda_FD; 03-02-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    I got some oem shocks with pedders springs if ur interested...

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    you could get some BC coilovers and low end tyres achilles maxxis etc.

just squeeze around that budget

I have never shopped from them but Shox.com seem to have heaps and pretty cheap.
    If you can fit yourself could maybe do it for $1500.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD 1 2006 VTIL
    Thanks guys this was really helpful, i took my car to the tyre shop where i bought my 235/45s, they said they were happy to do a swap with the tyres with $40 on top.

I also forgot to mention that i also need caster rod bushings up front. Any ideas how much this costs?
    Getting pretty ridiculous quotes.

Can check this thread here amongst others too
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    Can check this thread here amongst others too
    inb4 that's an 05 civic, we're talking 06

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Surely coilovers aren't more then 1000, and have dat 500 left over

Get used coils for maximum save feel
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Quote Originally Posted by lolmclol View Post
    inb4 that's an 05 civic, we're talking 06
    Please someone try it... See what I do in response...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD 1 2006 VTIL
    thanks for responses guys.

i went to the tyre shop yesterday and the guys were able to swap over my 235/45s for 215/45. The clearance difference was just enough for normal driving. I still managed to scrub going through big bumps at 60km/h.

Should i really be lowering car? Can coilovers be set to sit at standard height? Front seems to be ok with the 255/40s, looks like it could use some drop.

What do you guys think?