Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Space Saver Wheel use I think has caused serious diff problem - slipping

I have a Honda Integra 2002 sedan automatic

Hit a rock and tyre front left went flat, changed it temporarily to the space-saver wheel (yellow baby wheel )

Driving home about 20klms - getting a rubbing groaning noise on take off from standing start or kicking down gears (wasn't making that noise before space saver went on)

Changed flat tyre and other front right tyre with two new front tyres next day

Still getting that rubbing groaning noise after the tyres were changed. Troubling!

Does this mean that I have done in the differential or some other damage as well?

The penny dropped that the space saver wheel might not have been the same circumference as the front wheel on the other side and caused diiff wear or damage??

Any thoughts

If so, is this an expensive fix?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    You're supposed to put the space saver on a back wheel and and swap the back wheel to the front - lesson learned i guess.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Hard lesson to learn - but I am also more than a bit upset with Honda that they do not warn you on the space saver wheel itself to put it on back ONLY and move a good rear to front - they have some fine print garble on the wheel itself that is not specific to this fact. But I am not getting into that argument now.

So is the space saver wheel the culprit then (apart from my lack of knowledge) ?

and if it is the diff, then what specifically is the fix?

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    If you hit the rock hard enough to pop the tyre, it may have caused some damage to some suspension component.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

There's a thought - possible - needs a good inspection underneath to ensure nothing else. Can't think what suspension part would make that groaning noise on acceleration though ?

Noise goes away when cruising along

Bit of a knock noise (once only) when going from reverse back into drive when parking which I don't think was there before
    Last edited by integra1; 06-02-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Kinda common sense to put space saver on the rear, as the front wheels both steer and transmit power so you'd want them even.

Firstly, IF, it is the diff (clutch,gears) worn because of the space saver wheel, would it be OK to drive around getting quotes to get it fixed (seeing I have replaced the two front tyres with brand new ones)??

Secondly, what is the likely part in the diff that may need fixing or replacing ?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I'd like to hear the sound you're talking about

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    And although I can't imagine it causing permanent damage at such a low speed, it's very possible the diff really didn't enjoy the different front wheel circumferences. However I thought that would have manifested in crap handling or sounds that would revert back to normal when a regular wheel went back on the front. Still, might be a good time for an LSD...

Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    And although I can't imagine it causing permanent damage at such a low speed, it's very possible the diff really didn't enjoy the different front wheel circumferences. However I thought that would have manifested in crap handling or sounds that would revert back to normal when a regular wheel went back on the front. Still, might be a good time for an LSD...

Space savers state a warning for intended use - pretty sure it's something like a maximum of 80km/h for 80kms etc. Ie swap it onto a non driven corner and get it to a shop as soon as possible. This is one of those common sense issues that while myself and many others would work it out without issue- there is a few that made a mistake that ends up costing them.
    Last edited by bennjamin; 07-02-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mooshie View Post
    If you hit the rock hard enough to pop the tyre, it may have caused some damage to some suspension component.
    mooshie

Go to the top of the class mate!

I took Integra to mechanic and after taking car for a thorough test drive and under bonnet inspection he said:

It is your engine mount rubber - it split and metal is vibrating against metal on acceleration

Then it became obvious that after hitting the largish rock - it bounced the engine that hard that it split the rubber engine mount. Also put a ding in mag wheel in addition to destroying tyre. Got two new front tyres and getting new engine mount.

Mechanic will also double check if auto trans damaged after he shuts up engine mount noise.

I did two auto trans flushes myself and found no metal filings in oil pan. First flush was a bit discoloured but second hot flush after test drive was clear. I would be very surprised if mechanic finds anything wrong with gearbox except that associated with an old auto gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Space savers state a warning for intended use - pretty sure it's something like a maximum of 80km/h for 80kms etc. Ie swap it onto a non driven corner and get it to a shop as soon as possible. This is one of those common sense issues that while myself and many others would work it out without issue- there is a few that made a mistake that ends up costing them.
    Yes! Followed space saver instructions on wheel. Never went over 80kph and travelled about 30ks to get home and to tyre shop.

Nevertheless, HONDA should make it very plain on space saver wheel and with an additional sticker near tyre change tools that space saver wheel should ONLY (or at least recommended) GO ON REAR OF CAR and GOOD REAR WHEEL TO FRONT DRIVE WHEEL DAMAGED or FLAT
    Last edited by integra1; 09-02-2014 at 11:30 PM.