Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1

EK Sway Bar/Chassis Brace Setup - Front Chassis Brace?

Currently have:
    - Ek4 rear sway bar
    - EK1 front sway bar

and I'm thinking of installing a ek4 front chassis brace.

For a FWD, the rear sway bar made a difference, and I'm thinking it might stiffen the car too much if I put a chassis brace at the front? or is it better to do this?

and then, possibly upgrade the front sway bar to ek4? (maybe)

Leave front swaybar.

Put your money into a ASR rear brace and CTR ek9 rear swaybar.

Best mod you can do

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin;38769t7
    Leave front swaybar.

Put your money into a ASR rear brace and CTR ek9 rear swaybar.

Best mod you can do
    I have access to a front chassis brace. Will it make a positive effect without an ek9 rear setup?

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    Change your suspension bushings too ( front lca bushings , front compliance bushings , rear trailing arm bushings , rear lca bushings etc )
    EK is over 10 years old , fresh bushings will stiffen up the car and improve handling of your car.
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    x2 change all bushings first. feel dat tight pu sea
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I have access to a front chassis brace. Will it make a positive effect without an ek9 rear setup?

I dont think it will be a positive effect. It will stiffen up the link of suspension at the front of the car and IMO you wont like the new feel. Better to firm up the rear.
    As said above new bushes would be nice, but for the money spent by far the best mod is a upgraded rear swaybar.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Makes me wonder why ek4 comes with a front chassis brace. Must be there for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Makes me wonder why ek4 comes with a front chassis brace. Must be there for a reason
    does something. But not enough to notice...A actual strut bar does more. But still...for the money spent - rear swaybar upgrade is where its at

Smile

Hey guys

Been doing some research into this topic of installing an RSB onto a stock EK1 sedan and sounds like Honda has the same setup as Alvis on here (thanks for all the part numbers Alvis)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...g-to-far/page5

of Ek4 rear sway bar
    - EK1 front sway bar

On your good advice bennjamin your saying leave the EK1 front at 22mm and upgrade the rear with ASR rear brace and CTR ek9 rear swaybar of 22mm.

Excusing my ignorance but would it make a huge difference to upgrade the stock EK 22mm FSB to the EK4/EK9 of 26mm, thus matching the EK9 setup of 26mm FSB and 22 RSB (add the ASR rear brace as well)
    as suggested here http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ar-setup/page2

A further question is in your opinion do you need an ASR brace even if you just add a Ek4 rear sway bar as is Honda's and Alvis's setup?

If and if is the big question you upgraded your FSB to 26mm from stock of 22mm on a EK1 would you only need the following parts:

SPRING, FR. STABILIZER (26MM) 51300-S04-N01 QTY 1
    BUSH, STABILIZER HOLDER (26MM) 51306-S04-N01 QTY 2
    HOLDER, R. FR. STABILIZER 51308-SR3-000 QTY 2

By a way of reference the part numbers for the mod of a EM1 / EK4 13mm RSB to an EK1 is

52300-S52-A01 x 1
    52308-s04-000 x 2
    52315-s52-A00 x 2
    52317-s04-000 x 2
    52320-s04-003 x 1
    52321-s04-003 x 1
    90002-s10-000 x 2
    90212-SA5-003 x 2
    93403-08020-08 x 4
    95701-08018-08 x 4

Last edited by Astrodice; 19-02-2014 at 02:47 AM.

when setting up suspension for track, you would use wheel rates to calculate the spring/damper/swaybar stiffness ect so think about stiffer springs, softer swaybars softer springs, stiffer bars. both acchieves the same "wheel rates" im running itr springs and bars in my ek4. i like the combination for a spirited daily but i have only driven a limited amount of suspension setups. i see most threads and discussions about swaybars ignore springs and dampers. stiffer rear to front balance=more oversteer stiffer front to rear balance = more understeer. eliminating the variables i think the main noticeable difference when upgrading to a 22mm rsb is more oversteer, and to a much lesser extent body roll (depending on spring setup.)

but what if you put on a 13mm bar and removed your front bar??? if you have some stupidly hard lowering springs, i dont think the increased body roll would be hugely noticeable. and you would gain the benefit of the wheels being more independent of each other over uneven road. the supensions job is to keep the wheels on the ground and increase traction and handleing as much as possible. linking the L/R wheels together has a negative impact on this. take a ek4 setup 26f 13r, instead of going thicker rear, why not put a 22 or even a 18 front on??? another plus is no need to shell out as much for a asr and you could get away with a beaks or similar as a brace.

you need to look at the whole picture and know what you want to achieve, just like an engine you dont want to put a type r manifold thats tuned for 9k rpm on a stockblock b18b that can only rev to 7k..... but if its running 12:1 with a big cam and revs up there, then sure, it is deffantly a worthwhile addition.

Thanks for the info eekayfo. My EK currently has the King spring lows on it and the rest is stock. It will be just a daily drive wont be tracked.
    I am just looking to do a simple rsb upgrade, so going on a some peoples experience putting a 13mm bar on the rear is simple upgrade and you get the handling advantages of a rear bar without having to upgrade front and rear to 26mm in front and then an ctr rear 22 and brace etc.

Alvis and Honda have current setups of 22 front (stock) and 13mm rear

bennjamin what do you think? ;-)

Hey Astro - i still think its best to put the cash spent on that 13mm into a 22mm Just leave the front standard.
    It really is very noticeable and the best bang for buck mod for any civic owner