Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    How much am I looking at paying to get some new tyres for my lux CU2 sitting on the `8" stockies?

Preferably looking at 245/40/18
    Currently on Toyo Proxes T1 Sport but they're way too expensive!
    '97 Teg VTi-R - GONE :'( -> '08 CU2

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressCoffee View Post
    How much am I looking at paying to get some new tyres for my lux CU2 sitting on the `8" stockies?

Preferably looking at 245/40/18
    Currently on Toyo Proxes T1 Sport but they're way too expensive!
    GoodYear are doing their Buy 4 for price of 3 deal right now. And the F1 Asym 2's are well known for good value for performance/noise. Not sure how much they go for though, but the F1 Directional 5 go for around $225 each

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro

CU2 quiet tyres on 18" stock rims

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    GoodYear are doing their Buy 4 for price of 3 deal right now. And the F1 Asym 2's are well known for good value for performance/noise. Not sure how much they go for though, but the F1 Directional 5 go for around $225 each
    Thank you.
    Is there any Michelin tyres or others that include the buy 3 get one free? Looking to spend around 200 per wheel.

Edit: where did you find them for $225 each? I called up Goodyear and they said F1's are $295 each..
    Last edited by ExpressCoffee; 07-04-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressCoffee View Post
    Thank you.
    Is there any Michelin tyres or others that include the buy 3 get one free? Looking to spend around 200 per wheel.

Edit: where did you find them for $225 each? I called up Goodyear and they said F1's are $295 each..
    I haven't actually seen any other company outside of GoodYear (and Dunlop, which as far as I know are owned by the same company), do the buy 3 get one free offer. Especially not with Michelins. I haven't been too impressed by Michelins mind, I know the PSS is a great performance tyre, but bloody expensive. My experience with Michelins are with their Eco XM2 range, but they don't age well. After a few years, the sidewalls start to crack (and look crap), I've had one grow a bubble in the side wall, and the road noise is crap. Don't get me wrong, when they were new, they were fine. Nothing special, but not terrible either, but for a tyre that's advertised for it's extended range they don't handle aging well.

I suggest you call around a bit, as different dealers/retailers/workshops will have different prices for the same model/size, even if they are the same franchise. Tyre Power Hawthorn is known for being respectable, seeing you're in melbourne. Otherwise, Tempe Tyres are good too, and they're a Trader on this forum. That's where I got the price from, but they're in NSW. Their prices include postage, but you'll have to go to a Bob Jane or Kmart Auto and pay $15 for them to fit and balance it.

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyrepro...irectional%205

Federal S595 are also highly rated as well
    http://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyrepro...2093W%20SS-595

Or you could through this list:
    http://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyre_se...peed=&RunFlat=

Of the ones there, outside of the Fed and GoodYear linked above, I would consider Kumho KU31 if you're on a tighter budget (went from Mich XM2 to Kumho KH18 and it's quieter and gripper, albeit the Mich were old, but still has given me a good impression on Kumho; KU36 are very popular for people who go to the track as well). I would AVOID Conti, I have Continental Sport Contact 3 on my car, changed over from the Dunlops that came as OEM on the car, and they are LOUD. Perhaps the CSC5 would be an improvement, but I can't see it being much. RE050A are a decent choice, but they've been on the market for ages, and have a fairly low wear rating.

EDIT: Also note that you may have to get tyres to a higher load rating to comply with insurance. I'm not sure what they are for the CU2 though.
    Last edited by ChaosMaster; 08-04-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Tyres are tyres just get the cheapest of the common reputed range (bridge/kumho/hankook) and stick with correct load rating and size/aspect ratio etc.
    It's not a car with 400nm of torque or with 300kw so most of the time you will never exceed the limits of the tyres designed for road use unless you do stupid things.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by rokkuchan View Post
    Tyres are tyres just get the cheapest of the common reputed range (bridge/kumho/hankook) and stick with correct load rating and size/aspect ratio etc.
    It's not a car with 400nm of torque or with 300kw so most of the time you will never exceed the limits of the tyres designed for road use unless you do stupid things.
    You couldn't be more wrong. I went with Continental Sport Contact 3, and I hate them, so damn loud. And will have to live with them for another 20 000km at least. There's a lot more to tyres than just grip, just like there's a lot more to cars than power. A little research doesn't hurt.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong. I went with Continental Sport Contact 3, and I hate them, so damn loud. And will have to live with them for another 20 000km at least. There's a lot more to tyres than just grip, just like there's a lot more to cars than power. A little research doesn't hurt.
    of course research doesn't hurt.
    I think performance tyres are usually louder - your Sport Contact 3 is a performance tyre right?. I also think anything <= 45 profile will have more significant road noise.

Friend's BMW 5 series has the same continental conticontact (n) and is absolutely quiet. But ofcourse it has higher profile of 50 or 55. (though could be better built car in insulating noise).

I would pick tyres that is more focused on comfort ride rather than performance if you care about noise so much and also common sense in just looking at the aggressiveness of the tyre treads.

I got the hankook v12 - it still has a little bit of noise but i think it's as quiet as it gets with that profile before lowering standards on performance/grip. Hence why i suggested just get the cheapest of any reputable brands, which is usually focused on comfort rather than performance.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    It would be dependent on the car, but I'm talking about on the same car, the CSC3 are louder, by a fair margin. And the tread design is far from the most aggressive I've seen, only about half way. And cheaper tyres don't mean more comfortable/quiet. E.g. Yokohama have the BluEarth as their cheapest, then the C.Drive then the V551 dB. They go quieter with each step, but then the price goes up as well. Even with Bridgestone, they differentiate between their budget and premium alongside performance and comfort. I think the trinity for tyres was Performance/Comfort/Price, where you can choose 2 of the 3.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    Thank you to the both of you for the information!

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    The Master Troll is here.

So according to your dumbkoont theory, Tyre Brands like, Achillies, DiamondBack for example, will give me the same performance as Bridgestone, Continentals??

Then the following line should be correct as well,

Bridgestone will give me same performance has a set of Hooiser?

Quote Originally Posted by MR_LATE View Post
    whats it like compared to the pirelli p1?
    Never had P1 in any of my cars before so can't say. But my friend has M3 which has PZeros as oem and the m3 community has widely raved about these same tyres compared to the pzeros.
    PZeroes are Advan like the normal Pirelli range ie P1, P4, etc are Yokohama.

Cheapest common reputed range can/usually be as bad as no name brand or only slightly better...

Not exactly what you want when you're in an emergency...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2
    thankyou dreadangel
    what gets wet ...while its drying?