Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98

Front Disk Rotor Recommendations (EK1/ EM1/ EK4)

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of changing my front rotors and was wondering if anyone could share their recommendations or experiences?

I'm after something that is proven good quality.

I have new QFM brake pads ready to go and my goal of the upgrade is for improved feel and a bit more bite in stopping power. Using Castrol Dot 5 brake fluid and brakes are bled every 15,000 kms.

Thanks,
    Alvis
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Which spec QFM pads?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    HPX (so spirited and everyday driving)...
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    a lot of people claim that rda rotors aren't as good as dba, and claim that they crack under hard driving.

obviously this is completely dependant on driving style and power, but I had 2 trackdays with rda slotted and dimpled rotors (also come in a cool grey colour) and had no problems. Also had 1 trackday on the slotted ones and also had no problems. They are cheap and good enough quality
    Wakefield Park PB: 1.15.6

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    I did street diving and they warped after 3000k
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Yeah, I've heard mixed results but personally I've had no issues. So it's weird to hear such different results. OP if you want proven quality try some decent dba ones
    Wakefield Park PB: 1.15.6

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    mixed results are from a lack of QC often associated with cheap manufacturing.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    JDMDC2/EG4
    I've got a brand new set of DBA 4000 series rotors for sale, let me know if interested. they are top quality

DBA well known for quality

RDA are cheaper, but still good quality. Plenty of track / rally cars have been using them for years without major problems. If properly installed / maintained etc they should last a very long time without issue. I seriously doubt that any rotor would warp after 3000km of normal road driving. What you experienced was probably DTV due to transfer of pad material. This is the common cause of shudder, and is much more complicated than "cheap rotors".

OP - what brakes are on the front of your car? Do you have the 262mm brakes or 240mm brakes? Are you changing rotors because you're running out of brakes, and you need to upgrade or because your rotors are worn out? More information needed to be able to help you. There are plenty of upgrade options available.

Had both dba and rda on numerous cars, always had warping issues, changed to protex rotors and haven't had any issues. Way cheaper and better in my experience.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondarally View Post
    RDA are cheaper, but still good quality. Plenty of track / rally cars have been using them for years without major problems. If properly installed / maintained etc they should last a very long time without issue. I seriously doubt that any rotor would warp after 3000km of normal road driving. What you experienced was probably DTV due to transfer of pad material. This is the common cause of shudder, and is much more complicated than "cheap rotors".
    No m8 they were our of plane, only very slightly though
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Project Mu CRD rotors
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8