Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transmission noise (?)

Hi guys, I'd love some help with this. I got a 2004 accord euro (manual) and sometimes I get a low pitched but very audible whine in gears 1-3. I don't think it's the engine as it goes away when I push the clutch. It also strangely went away today after I'd turned the car off for a Few minutes and then set off again, it was completely gone. Any ideas?

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    water.

did it come back at all or?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Is "water" in relation to my name or did I somehow manage to get water into my tranny? :P

I've heard it at least one other time (a few days ago) but not as loud. Today it didn't come back at all. Drove 25ish Kms without any noise whatsoever.
    Last edited by Dihydrogenoxide; 01-03-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    probs make sure u have enough clutch fluid.
    could be clutch release bearing cos u said noise goes away when you press clutch. i probsbly wouldnt worry abt it if noise goes away
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Do you have an aftermarket head unit , or HIDs , or anything electrical installed ?

Could be a loose ground or wrongly placed ground becoming audible through your speakers

Nope, none of those (yet). All it's got is aftermarket suspension & nicer alloys than the stock ones.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    How many kays? Have you had your manual transmission fluid (MTF) replaced?

- HZ

138,000 Ks. Transmission fluid has been checked, was fine.
    The noise got louder, so I could pinpoint it properly and it turns out it was the powersteering. In particular, the powersteering fluid was all frothy, so the mechanic rinsed the system thoroughly, and put in new fluid with some kind of additive. So far, that's fixed the noise. Anyone else heard of or get this problem with their power steering?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    the powersteering shold make a groaning sound when u turn the wheel

don't put additives in. honda PS systems are sensetive to having the wrong fluid
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Prolly put sca power steering fluid nek minit leak
    Penrite make P.S fluid suitable for oem honda but so expensive
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Wasn't a groan, it was a pretty severe whine that definitely wasn't there a few days before. Bit too late to do anything about the additive, but I trust the mechanic. Plus, if it turns out the additive breaks the power steering, I'm sure I'll be able to sort something out with them (i.e. if a honda dealer says you had an additive in that probably broke it, the other mechanic will probably compensate me for it).

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Lux
    Did you do the recall for powersteering?