Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]

Exclamation [CL9] The DEFINITIVE guide to SERVICING your Accord Euro

Forget your Logbook....

Why? well my euro had just turned 10, and over the past 10 years I've noticed a thing or 2 about 7th gen. The log book suggested scheduled is far from adequate in some aspects.

Now an interesting point, most of us would follow the "normal" service schedule without even questioning it... BUT if you read what constitutes "Severe" conditions....

*Driving less than 8km
    *Driving in extremely hot (35% +) conditions
    *Extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving
    *Towing, roof rack or mountainous conditions
    *Driving on muddy, dusty or de-iced roads

Although if you "occasionally" drive in severe conditions you could follow normal service conditions.... Lets be honest here, if you live in ANY of the major metro areas in Australia and you drive to work/school... or take your kids to school every morning. Given our road and traffic conditions... you are already nudging "severe"....

I'll break it down to the following structure:

Component: What is to be serviced
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule): the schedule from "normal conditions" as per user manual
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):the schedule from "severe conditions" as per user manual
    What does fredoops say: my humble opinion and reasoning behind it

So, without further ado, I'll make a start.

Component: Engine Oil
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):Every 10000 km
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):Every 5000 km
    What does fredoops say: FULL Synthetic in the grades of (0w30, 5w30, 0w40, 5w40, 10w40) every 10000km (if you long life full syn oil you can push a little further). Mineral don't last compared to synthetic, and consider even thicker oil (Xw-50+) if you burn thru a lot.

Component: Engine Oil Filter
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):Every 20000 km
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):Every 10000 km
    What does fredoops say: Whenever you replace engine oil (see above)

Component: Engine Intake Air Filter
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):Every 40000 km
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):Every 40000 km
    What does fredoops say: for OEM style paper filter, check it every service and replace when necessary... you'd better off with a serviceable (cleanable) foam (unifilter) or cotton filter (K&N), cheaper in the long run and easier on the enviornment.

Component: Fuel (petrol) filter
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):Every 80000 km
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):Every 40000 km
    What does fredoops say: between 40-60k, 80000km is wayyyy to optimistic considering how crappy some of our fuel is.

Component: Sparkler Plug
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):Every 100000 km
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):Every 100000 km
    What does fredoops say: ditto, if you use iridium, it will last 100k km.

Component: Engine Coolant
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):Every 200000 km or 10 years
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):Every 200000 km or 10 years
    What does fredoops say: i'd do it every 6-7 years or 125,000km, it doesnt cost much

Component: AUTOMATIC Transmission Fluid
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):Every 120000 km
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):Every 600000 km
    What does fredoops say: HELL NO... completely inadequate, so:
    Daily Traffic & Modified: every 20,000 km drain & fill, 3x3 flush every 60-90k
    Other more normal/light user: every 40,000 km drain & fill, 3x3 flush every 120k
    Note: USE FULL SYNTHETIC ATF (compatible with Honda ATF), forget ATF-Z1/DW1 and all that non-sense.

Component: AUTOMATIC Transmission Fluid FILTER
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule): Never, doesn't exist
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule): Never, doesn't exist
    What does fredoops say: LOL@Honda for this one, it DOES exist, Change every 2nd ATF change.

Component: Manual Transmission Fluid
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):Every 120000 km
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):Every 60000 km
    What does fredoops say: If in doubt, use a full synthetic manual fluid, and do it between 40-60k km everytime, more if you track obviously.

Component: Braking Fluid
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):Every 3 years
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):Every 3 years
    What does fredoops say: Ditto, however, if you used Super dot 4 instead of dot 3, then you'd want to replace it earlier since Super Dot 4 sucks water.

Component: Power Steering Fluid
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):No mention
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule): No mention
    What does fredoops say: ... Do it every 50000km anyway, it's only 1 liter for like $20 bucks... Power steering fluid gets REALLY dirty....

Component: Air Con Filter (inside cabin)
    What does the logbook say (normal schedule):Every 30000 or 1 year
    What does the logbook say (severe schedule):Every 30000 or 1 year
    What does fredoops say: EVERY YEAR, it gets really dirty, also consider a Charcoal or HEPA grade filter instead of the simple paper filter if you have athma or other respiratory diseases.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 14-03-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro
    Thank you for this
    IN NSW WE TRUST

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Have you actually notice any difference going with the Charcoal cabin filter? Doesn't seem to have done much for me. Oh, and for guys looking at Manual Gearbox Fluid. I would recommend Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission oil or RedLine Manual Transmission oil (MTL not MT-90 and especially NOT NS/Shockproof oil)

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    Have you actually notice any difference going with the Charcoal cabin filter? Doesn't seem to have done much for me. Oh, and for guys looking at Manual Gearbox Fluid. I would recommend Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission oil or RedLine Manual Transmission oil (MTL not MT-90 and especially NOT NS/Shockproof oil)
    I have 2 packets of "bamboo charcoal" air cleaner thingy in the car, it works really well in supressing the dog smell in my car whenever the k9 decided to take a ride.

it wont kill germs but it will supress the "funkiness"
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    My 2 cents bout AT tranny fluid change . Every 30k full flush, not just a 3L replacement. Replace 3L, run the car and then pull the hose off tranny radiator and drain old oil while you refill it with fresh one, second guy changes AT selector continuously during this , D-R-N-1-2. Youll see when clean oil will come out the hose , its around after 4-5 liters of fresh oil you replaced on top of standart routine. This way your tranny will last forever.
    Last edited by littlebo; 13-03-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux
    Thanks for this.
    Suggestions maybe throw some brand recommendations that you use, part numbers or link anything you buy from the net/ebay. Prices etc.

Other than that, it's great!

Ryco numbers:
    Fuel Filter = Z649
    Oil Filter = Z547
    Air Filter = A1508
    Last edited by Cla; 12-03-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    I used to think k&n is better than OEM.
    For more air flow.... yes
    But for better filtration, it's OEM.

Member Array
    Car:
    zenki CL9
    thanks for this, had a good read yesterday before i bought all the fluids and filters for my 120k km service (Y)

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Would it be a good idea to expend each section of the write up to includ reccomended and proven oil brands
    -ATF filter pat number/aftermarket part number
    Maybe also include DIY links too
    Good write up mate
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    USE FULL SYNTHETIC ATF (compatible with Honda ATF), forget ATF-Z1/DW1 and all that non-sense.

any suggestion for ATF?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord V6 Lux
    IMHO Redline D4 ATF (bit expensive but lasts). Lot of owners have been running this for years, me included. Long term testing against filter and magnetic plug deposits suggest it may be one of the best.

For Air-conditioning systems. Apart from filter replacement, Valvoline make an AIR sanitiser that kills Mould, Mildew and odour causing Bacteria throughout the entire ducting system. Simple to use and takes about 4 minutes. A must for anyone with allergy's.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCl View Post
    IMHO Redline D4 ATF (bit expensive but lasts). Lot of owners have been running this for years, me included. Long term testing against filter and magnetic plug deposits suggest it may be one of the best.

For Air-conditioning systems. Apart from filter replacement, Valvoline make an AIR sanitiser that kills Mould, Mildew and odour causing Bacteria throughout the entire ducting system. Simple to use and takes about 4 minutes. A must for anyone with allergy's.
    IMHO Redline D4 ATF, do you know does supercheap or repco sell redline? I think it is made in US