Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dealer versus Non-Dealer Servicing

Hi everyone,

What's the preferred option? I know a trusty mobile mechanic who my family have used for years and always had a good outcome, however I've recently invested in an '07 Accord Euro which has -always- been dealer serviced, and she's come up to the 160,000km mark - dealer is quoting $595, and so I'm wondering just how much stock people place in dealer servicing. I know that a reasonable amount of work has to go into the 160k service, so I'm not too concerned over price, but I'm sure my mobile mechanic could do cheaper. So I want to ask - what's your preferred service option - dealer, non-dealer mechanic / mobile mechanic, or self-service?

iZach.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Dealer doesn't necessarily know what to do. they stuff up a lot too and can be just as difficult to deal with.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro
    No one uses the dealer here I don't think. They rip you off and don't do the proper job either from what I've read. Best to go anywhere but them, if you know how to do the minor service yourself that's a bonus or just take it to the mechanic you speak of
    IN NSW WE TRUST

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Depends on how much you trust your dealer. Don't forget that dealers are usually filled with apprentices as they are paid next to nothing, and also can have near no experience either. That and they can lie their way out of it, and you wouldn't know. I remember about a decade ago, my dad took his Corolla into service, they claimed to have changed the oil filter, however I had marked it with some white-out. When they brought the car back out, we complained and they were insistent it was changed all the way up to the point where I showed them the marking. Never again.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Go to an independent, use the money you save to get more work done/or better stff put in (eg: full synthetic oil etc), some of the factory recommended intervals are far from adequate.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 10-03-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Indeed, and they tend to use cheap Magnatec oil as well (which is $30 with a free oil filter at Repco during sales). If you were happy with that kinda of oil, you could go to a local mechanic, a small one, and they charge between $70-90 to do the exact same thing.

I prefer non-dealer servicing - from a reputable mechanic that is.

More personal, much cheaper - and generally, he wants you to come back so he makes sure he does a good job.

I find with dealers, their personnel just run off at the mouth with no knowledge and sheer car salesman arrogance.
    K&N Typhoon CAI || Weapon-R Headers + High Flow CAT || APEX'i WS2 catback || Ralco RZ Pulleys || Progress RSB || Alutec FTB || Tein Street Basis || Enkei Lusso 18" x 8" +40
    REFLASHED AUDM ECU

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Only take your car to the dealer for warranty work or defect on your car WHEN UNDER WARRANTY
    Find a trusted mech/make friends with one
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

+1 for trusted mechanic. also dont forget there are both good and bad from both dealer and non dealer servicing.

where possible i will try and do things myself. where not possible, i will check with my trusted mechanic, for anything else that my mechanic cannot handle, i will take it to the dealer (usually electrics or what not)

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Non dealer.

As mentioned above. I've been using the same shop to do most my work that I cant at home. Gives me a discount. I bring him parts. I know he rots me for parts but that's just how business works.

No hassle warranty.

Good and Clean work.

Dealers - Overly charged labour rates. Usually an apprentice will do the work while mech 'over looks'. Honda parts from dealer in Aus is a rot.

Order from the states. Find the part number and order from a dealer in the states. Same OEM stuff, same warranty etc etc. Parts + Shipping + Waiting Time = still waay cheaper then aus dealers atleast 1/2 the cost to buy from Aus.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Bud, why do you think ppl call em stealership or crookership ? Because they rip you. Get a good mechanic and youll have real service for real money.
    Last edited by littlebo; 11-03-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Luxury
    Definitely non-dealer.

For all the reasons above, the main one being dealers don't always know what they're doing, and overcharge anyway.

They mostly make their money off naive people who think they need to service at the dealership to keep their warranty.

Having said that though, there are some instances where you'll need the dealership's help.