Question Advice on Jazz (CVT concerns)

Hi Guys, Newbie here.

I'm looking at buying a 2006 model Jazz for the wife. She wants an auto so the one we are looking at has the CVT. It has done just over 110k kms.

I don't know a lot about hondas, but have always considered them to be quite well built. Reading up on the net, I see alot about the CVT issues. Is this something that EVERY car is going to experience? If the car has no shuddering and a good service history what are the chances that it will be reliable? I don't mind having to change the CVT oil regularly, just wary of being up for large replacement cost if it goes.

Thanks guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Not sure if it's luck of the draw but I can only provide you my experience. We bought a brand new Honda Jazz 1.3L automatic. While firstly I must say it was a brilliant, beautiful car with undoubtedly class leading practicality, the car was primarily driven by my elderly mother and the first gearbox died just after the 3 year mark.

Honda were brilliant though - Even though the car was out of warranty, they ordered a new gearbox and fitted it free of charge. From here, we started replacing the CVT transmission fluid every 6 months (yes, with the newer CVT oil). The gearbox still ended up shuddering after about 2.5 years (after the replacement). The mount died at 140,000kms which should be noted but that's just wear and tear. We had the dreaded delay from a stop which occurred randomly (accelerate, nothing, *clunk* and off you go). Everytime this happened we took it back in and 'recalibrate' it but it would come back after a few weeks. We ended up trading it in at the 170,000km mark.

Again, this car was driven by my elderly mother, never towed anything nor driven hard at all (embarrassingly she's the type to drive 60 in a 70 zone etc). It's a shame because other than that, it was a brilliant car and Honda was nothing short of exceptional whenever something went wrong (plenty of good will and part pricing). If it was my money I would save a bit more and get the later Jazz with the 5 speed gearbox.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Was a late 2005 model if you were wondering

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 + GE8
    From experience, the 1.5L seems to have less issues. The 1.3L can have an EGR Valve problem which can be about $300 to replace from Honda. 1.5L ones don't seem to have this problem as much. However both will have CVT problems as its in almost every single GD Jazz Ive been.

Our 1.5L CVT was replaced at 160,000KMs 3 years ago, now at 205,000KMs still no problems. Another 1.5L Jazz had it replaced and till 270,000KM still no issues. HOWEVER Hondas Jazz CVT is not bullet proof and it may fail again sometime in the future, but then the car will be about 15-20years old.

Mitsubishi's Colt 2005- CVT gearbox is much better than the GD Jazz, take off from standstill is a lot smoother and quicker on the Colt. I love the 05+ Jazz but Id only get it in Manual, if auto get the GE 08+ as stated by androo.

If your budget is really within the GD Jazz, make sure you get one that has CVT replaced by the dealer and NOT flushed. Flushed does jack all and will come back eventually. The CVT replacement is about $2000 from Honda, so get one that's been repaired as most GD Jazzes should be out of warranty by now.
    Last edited by chow_tofu; 19-03-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    105,xxxKM's GD3 2001

Not a single problem. We change CVT Fluid every 20k With Genuine Honda stuff. Service every 10k. Fresh oil + filter every 5k. Oil is nearly always golden.

Common Wear and Tear:
    Serpentine belt + Idler Pulley
    Valve Clearance
    Rocker Cover Gasket.

Common Problems GD:

CVT Shudder - If you maintain her, shouldn't become a real issue till later in her life.
    Wheel Bearings - These are known for GD3's approx 150k - 300km will show signs anywhere in there.
    Auto window - The switches in nearly all late 90's to early 2000's. Is a known issue. It will slow down and eventually the actuator will go, specially when the window seals wear out.
    Alternator/Starter Motor - rare problem, some ppl have reported in the 2xx,xxxKM the alternator/starter motor has needed replacing.

Either then these, it all depends on the condition of the car you purchase.

If your really worried about the CVT, you can always purchase a manual GD box for next to nothing.

If you do get a shudder, 1st signs just flush and continue to flush till she dies.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Our jazz had the cvt replaced at 70k under warranty. Was serviced every time at Honda and never missed a service.
    I recently changed it now that it was out of warranty. Seems like honda was still using normal auto fluid. Changed to the cvt stuff seems to be better now.

It's a major problem as even honda was using the wrong fluid for the cvt.

They have a cvt additive now to help rough shifting. It's pretty expensive but a few ppl I know used it found it fixed a lot of their problem
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION