Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9

6pt harness choice

hey guys, just trying to sus out 6pt harness belts at the moment...

does anyone know what else is out there

we know of TAKATA which are awesome - and need like 1k for a set.

then there is D2 fia approved with cams lock device also.

what else is there. that are cams lock and fia approved that are good also....
    cheers
    phil
    "RIP Paul Walker. You will be sadly missed by all the car lovers out there..."

willans, schroth, rpm, OMP, sabelt, sparco.....

make sure you get something with 3" belts as it's far more comfortable than 2".

Might be obvious but Do not buy second hand. They have a use by date and may have been previously in an accident or impact.

Also if you're moving more to track work (I presume that's why you're looking, not just for street cred) then consider something that will be compatible with a HANS device or similar. You might decide down the track that you want the extra protection. In fact, CAMS are mandating HANS devices at national level come July this year, and at state level in Jan 2015. This won't impact track days etc, but it might filter down over time.

Don't get hung up on the JDM harnesses. Plenty of equal or better quality gear that's been used by professional racers for years.

There are actually studies showing 2" lap belts to be safer than 3" as they allow more natural movement of your pelvis in an accident. 3" harnesses spread the load better over your shoulders, so possibly more comfortable and less bruising in an accident, but are no stronger in real terms than a 2" harness. What I'm saying that if the accident is big enough to stretch / break a 2" harness you're most likely going to be a pile of pink goo on the windscreen anyway.
    If you look at the higher end Schroth harness, they have 2" lap and 3" shoulder belts.

Go to a racing supplier such as Revolution Racegear and have a talk to them / check out some of the stuff they have. Good harnesses will cost money, but IIRC I paid about $600 for my Schroth harnesses a couple of years ago. These are 6 point with a rotary buckle. If you're going to buy online, make sure you're not getting sold fakes.

+1 be very wary of second hand (most harnesses will have an indicator to show whether they've been damaged in a big accident). Personally, I'd never sell a harness if I knew it had been in a big accident, but I'm sure there are plenty of unscrupulous sellers out there who will sell anything for a quick profit.
    Last edited by Hondarally; 21-03-2014 at 07:16 AM.

stick with 4pt if you can... 6pt pushes your balls into your lungs.

^do not buy a 4pt harness, you can't tighten it properly and they are no where near as safe...

Quote Originally Posted by daevilone View Post
    ^do not buy a 4pt harness, you can't tighten it properly and they are no where near as safe...
    Genuinely do not believe you would get into any accident where you can see a difference between 4/6 pt harness even on track days, if it's a cams event there will be regulations which are to be adhered to in any case.

I can't recall CAMS stipulating requirements between 4/6 point harnesses, certainly in club stuff (up to state level). It's been a few years since I did anything at state level, so that may have changed. Always check sup regs, and read the CAMS manual for the type of events you're planning on running.

6 point definitely offer more protection, of that there is no doubt. (as for crushing your balls, well I think someone's been listening to too much internet myth). If you have a moderately powerful car, then there is definitely the possibility to have a big accident at a low level track day. I've seen rollovers at very low key, low speed gravel khana crosses and dirt sprints (even at training days). Admittedly low speed ones, but it's still naïve to expect the magnitude of a crash is going to be smaller just because the event is "smaller".

Having said that, fillit touches on an interesting point. A poorly fitted and adjusted 6 point harness is a lot more dangerous in nearly any situation than a properly fitted and adjusted 4 point. Whatever you get, learn how to mount it properly and then learn how to use and adjust it properly. That will have a bigger effect than the brand or type of harness you get.

CAMS requires 6 point in various levels depending on the category of racing. Race requires 6 point before speed does, and I think rally before race.

^yes, 6 point is simply safer. Given the simplicity of installing the extra 2 points and the lack of a real price difference, it's pretty well a no brainer. I don't think it really matters what

Also, to extend. A poorly fitted and adjusted 6 point is still safer than a poorly fitted and adjusted 4 point. Infact poorly fitted and adjusted 4 point is easily very dangerous because you can slip out the bottom very easily if it's tightened wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by daevilone View Post
    CAMS requires 6 point in various levels depending on the category of racing. Race requires 6 point before speed does, and I think rally before race.
    Well there you go. Looks like I need to read up a bit (not that it's an issue to me - use 6 point in both cars)

Also, to extend. A poorly fitted and adjusted 6 point is still safer than a poorly fitted and adjusted 4 point. Infact poorly fitted and adjusted 4 point is easily very dangerous because you can slip out the bottom very easily if it's tightened wrong.
    Absolutely. I wasn't suggesting a 4 point is in any way better than 6 point, but stating the importance of using them properly. Even a standard lap/sash belt is safer than a poorly fitted 4 point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondarally View Post
    Well there you go. Looks like I need to read up a bit (not that it's an issue to me - use 6 point in both cars)

Absolutely. I wasn't suggesting a 4 point is in any way better than 6 point, but stating the importance of using them properly. Even a standard lap/sash belt is safer than a poorly fitted 4 point.
    As above, that wasn't my intention either, as I was presuming this is more for interior decor as opposed to full track duties. Having a bucket seat which has the hole for the bottom straps helps greatly as well, safety wise 6 point > 4 point, however if it's just for "light" track duties a 4 point point mounted correctly should be sufficient enough, of course faster your times get, you should get safety features which complement your speed.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9
    hey guys i ended up going for a pt harness from takata.
    was $1017.00 from go tuning.

3" shoulder straps and 2" leg straps.

will do the job

no not for just street cred... my car will be my track slut.shes gonna cop it hard.
    this will do. dont think ill race though. so should be ok.
    "RIP Paul Walker. You will be sadly missed by all the car lovers out there..."