Member Array
    Car:
    '98 INTEGRA

Lightbulb VTEC not kicking in...

Hey,

This is a question and a bit of advice for VTEC users to be honest. Hope it helps!

Firstly my question is; what rpm should my VTEC kick in on my '98 Integra DC2 V-tir? I've read that it is supposed to be 4500rpm but mine is kicking in at 6000...is that correct or incorrect?

As for the advice, I got my VTEC working as of tonight

I found that my VTEC was not doing anything at all except wasting oil! After a bunch of research I found there were multiple possibilities for what could be wrong. I tested a bunch of things and found that the gasket and ECU were my problem

Both were an easy fix but I thought I would offer up some help for anyone else experiencing problems

So what I did was go buy myself a new gasket for the solenoid (the big main one with the oil filter), they seem to be hard to find so I just went to Honda and got one from them ($50)

Next step was cleaning up all the oil from the surrounding areas. Just used your standard degreaser and a spray bottle filled with water.

After that I removed the solenoid system (just 3 bolts holding it on) and just cleaned off where it connects to the engine block. Removed the old gasket that had appeared to have gone square and the filter was clogged and proceeded to clean the entire system with degreaser. Once nice and clean I put a thin layer of oil on the new gasket and carefully placed back in the solenoid.

Once this was done I just put it back in place and did a quick oil flush and change, making sure to use a good brand of oil (I used Pentrite - approx: $50)

Next I just reset the ECU by:
    1. Turn on the car and warm it up, keeping it at normal idle level
    2. Turn off the car an pull your ECU fuse, located in the fuse box.
    3. Keep the fuse out for at least 5 min
    4. Plug the fuse back in and close the hood
    5. Now start your car, but do not step on the gas.
    6. Idle the car for about 5 minutes
    7. Last, shut off car then start it up again

And that got my VTEC working first time I felt my VTEC

Please add anything extra or move this post to the relevant area. Also correct anything I may have got incorrect

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Good info and appropriate for the noob forum. The sound you are hearing at around 6000 rpm isn't VTEC however, it's the secondary butterflys in the intake manifold opening up giving a shorter path for the intake air and better high rpm power.

Oh and 4400-4500 is correct for VTEC on the B18C2
    Last edited by mooshie; 24-03-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    '98 INTEGRA
    Quote Originally Posted by mooshie View Post
    Good info and appropriate for the noob forum. The sound you are hearing at around 6000 rpm isn't VTEC however, it's the secondary butterflys in the intake manifold opening up giving a shorter path for the intake air and better high rpm power.
    I am also feeling the VTEC though... I don't feel it at any point until then

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Yeah you will feel the secondary's too. The VTEC transition is quite mild and smooth in the C2 nothing like the B16 or type R. can definitely hear it though, 3 stages of sound- 0-4400, 4400-6000 on VTEC then 6000-8000ish on VTEC+secondary's
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    '98 INTEGRA
    oh... that definitely explains it then. I hear a change in the sound at 4500 then its constant till 6000 when I really feel it and get much bigger change in sound. That's great news mooshie I've had the car for a year and a half and haven't felt the VTEC at all but after all this I get the biggest smile ever :P thanks for the info

Thats just a C2 for you as said before their cross over is not as clear as the others. If you want that clean crossover chuck a new intake and throttle body in and some extractors and you'll hear it

Member Array
    Car:
    '98 INTEGRA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumanji View Post
    Thats just a C2 for you as said before their cross over is not as clear as the others. If you want that clean crossover chuck a new intake and throttle body in and some extractors and you'll hear it
    I'm guessing that's the main difference (in the VTEC) between the vtir and type r then? mooshi said it was more aggressive in the type r...
    Also I have come to notice that the timing for the butterfly seems to not be constant, sometimes ill notice it around 6000 and others its around 7000, is that normal?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Should be 6,000 regardless.

Props for doing your own research and fixing the problem yourself.

And remember - a loud VTEC just means you have a large increase in torque. A smooth VTEC crossover means you have a straighter power curve. It's not a big deal unless you wanna sound like a badass...

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Or a hoon.....
    SSpamily