Thread: dc5r handling

dc5r handling

hey guys,
    seeking your advice, please dont tell me to search as i already have and have read several forums but really have not recieved a straight answer, all input is appreciated.

i have i/h/e done on my dc5r and koni yellow damper adjustable suspension and custom made springs from all springs in liverpool that have seen approx 20k km.

my car is sitting on stock audm dc5r wheels.

i feel like my car UNDER steers sooooo much, youd think that the type r isnt meant to be a handling based car lol.

a mechanic recommended me to get different wheels and better tyres first, which is the plan but the wheels i have in mind are regamaster evos in 17 inch and that with hankook rs3 tyres which i am keen to try would cost well over 2k.

i am wondering if i can do anything at the moment to make the car handle better ?
    i am running 32 psi on front and rear tyres and damper setup is same front and back which is approx a turn or so from what i can remember, away from full stiff.

i am wanting to get rear sway bar, front and rear strut bars and rear camber arms, front camber bolts, then proceed to what i have seen in referred to in europe as a 'fast road set up' which is supposedly an aggressive 4 wheel alignment? anyone know where is a good place to go for this ? i live in campbelltown so the closer the better.

just seeking some guidance in terms of direction of where to head to improve handling, i really want to feel that 'type r handling' that so many people talk about. a car that i can enjoy on the twisties and the occassional track day.

thank you
    Last edited by RA73DR; 01-04-2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: mistake

I'm far from an expert on this. A few random thoughts:

- What are your current spring rates? Are they the same front and rear?
    - If you go making the rear end stiffer with bigger sway bars etc, you are going to further encourage oversteer.
    - Stuffed rear trailing arm bushings (and others I'm guessing) can lead to unpredictable handling and possibly oversteer, although new ones will also probably give you a stiffer rear end.

Maybe also look at your driving style and technique. Make sure you are smooth with your throttle and steering inputs around the corners. I'm sure you know about lift off oversteer. I don't tend to get it in my car unless it's intentional, or I whimp out of a corner and abrubtly back off the throttle (pretty poor technique in most situations)

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    you need to know this;

What are your springrates? I'm thinking your rears are a lot stiffer than your fronts
    What are your shocks set to? Soften the rears and see how that goes
    What sway vars have you got? If you stiffen the rear it will oversteer more.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    235 tyre width should make a good improvement

I have driven dc5r with koney and tein s-tech,235 wide tyres and it grips like poo on blanket

stronger rear sway bar will make more oversteer feels

sorry guys my bad i mean under steers ! not over steers

i am not sure what the spring rates are, i am thinking of taking out these springs and replacing them with eibach pro kit springs if handling isnt acheived with my other plans

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    in that cake

try the RSB and see hwo you like that
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

what i just did was set my front tire pressure to 32 and my rear to 36, . all i can say is wow, really does make a difference, barely, if any over steer. much more happier with it, cant wait to see what the handling mods will do

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    How much do you want to spend......
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9
    a wheel alignment can affect handling.