Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B16A2 tuning

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    If you have an S80 gearbox, easiest way to find out if you have a LSD box is jack the front of the car up and spin the wheels. If they both spin in the same direction, you have a type R box. If not, you have a VTi-R box.

I would personally do a LSD before a final drive as it will make the car alot easier and safer to drive.

Where are you located so I can refer you to someone that does gearboxes.

If you are in Melbourne, drop by and say hello. Otherwise I will point you in the right direction
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    It appears OP is in adelaide, try PM'ing chez00 at Neat Gearboxes. His work seems really good and he's local to you.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Eridzone, The Mfactory Close Ratios will enable you to keep the power in the power band. This is crucial especially for low powered, high reving engine. With the right combo, 5th gear can actually becomes usable - and you can grab 5th on the straight at wakefield and go through the kink in 5th - it will lead to better lap times.

However, it may not be suitable to a daily streeter - although it will be helluva fun street car.

As some said earlier, for a streeter, the Mfactory Helical LSD and a shorter final drive 4.9 or 5.2 will increase driving fun
    MFactory Competition Products

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra 98
    thanks to all you guys

As per your suggestions i have bought Integra DC2R S80 N3E gearbox i hope this weekend i will try to drop in my car lets see how it goes.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra 98
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    A tune will cost more than $1000 when you factor in the cost of a tunable ECU (generally Hondata S300).

But that's beside the point, if you are positive your engine is underperforming compared to before then something could be wrong. -and tuning doesn't fix problems with a stock car.

If you're 100% sure it's not just that you are getting used to the cars performance and it really is losing power I recommend locating/diagnosing the issue before buying any more performance parts.

Run a compression test, make sure all the cylinders are producing similar pressure. Check for exhaust leaks (this can rob you of power). Have you bottomed out and mashed the underside of your xforce header?

Is your air filter on your CAI located in the bumper/guard? When was the last time it was cleaned/replaced or how long has the CAI been installed?

These are just a few generally easy things to turn your attention to for a start.

Regarding your fuel system, you still have a stock engine so there's really not any point upgrading the fuel system. The stock system will be sufficient. You might see a tiny increase in performance if you run some really good injectors/FPR/pump with a tune but this is way outside your budget.

With your $1000 budget you might consider picking up a second hand DC2R gearbox. Having short ratios and an LSD will give you far better performance than anything you can bolt on to the engine in that price range.
    Thanks Super-DA9

Hi all

As per your advice I recently bought an Integra DC2 Type R gearbox from 2000 model with 4.7FD, LSD and N3E is printed on housing.

currently i am running B16A2 with S4C gearbox(By mistake i quoted s80 in my previous posts).

I am a bit confused whether i should swap the S4C box or keep sticking with it.

I want to know whether it will be worthy to swap the gearbox because i have just checked(I forgot to see before buying) that both boxes have same 1-3 gears and actually S4C has shorter 4th and 5th gear than DC2R box.(may be i may have misunderstood the comparison details). Could someone explain these values?

S4C (JDM Civic SiR/ Type R)
    1st gear Ratio 3.23
    2nd gear Ratio 2.105
    3rd gear Ratio 1.458
    4th gear Ratio 1.107
    5th gear Ratio 0.848
    Final Drive Ratio 4.40

S80 (JDM Integra Type R 1998 2001)
    1st gear Ratio 3.23
    2nd gear Ratio 2.105
    3rd gear Ratio 1.458
    4th gear Ratio 1.034
    5th gear Ratio 0.787
    Final Drive Ratio 4.785

What is the use of dual synchros for every gear in this box? and Is LSD really helpful in real life street daily driving plus some aggressive weekend runs? 4.7FD does it mean that it will give significant gain in acceleration? Which one is shorter in terms of gearing 0.848 or 0.787? I only need better off the line acceleration.

and one last, do i need to change my drive shafts(i have B16A2 in EG 1994) the one which connect to diff not to hub and can i use my existing OEM stock clutch and flywheel or they are not compatible with DC2R gearbox? If i choose an after market Stage 2 or 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel, will that make the car accelerates faster and all of this combination i mean gearbox, clutch and flywheel could transfer more raw power on the ground or this will be just a light difference?

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    The bigger the number, the shorter the gear.

The ITR box with 4.7fd, lightweight flywheel and new clutch with transform the feel of the car hugely.
    part time potato

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra 98
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvvtec View Post
    The bigger the number, the shorter the gear.

The ITR box with 4.7fd, lightweight flywheel and new clutch with transform the feel of the car hugely.
    so it means that s4c is quicker in terms of acceleration, i havn't swapped it yet as i am collecting opinions on this. if i install after market FD because s4c's 4th and 5th gear ratio is shorter what do you think this will give a better result than DC2R box?

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Yes the b16 box with a 4.7/4.9 will pull harder than the itr box in 4th and 5th, but revs at cruising speeds will also be alot higher (4000+ @ 100kph)
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    just turn your subwoofer up so you cant hear the rev on fwy

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra 98
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvvtec View Post
    Yes the b16 box with a 4.7/4.9 will pull harder than the itr box in 4th and 5th, but revs at cruising speeds will also be alot higher (4000+ @ 100kph)
    Okay what you recommend s4c with FD upgrade or just bolting and ITR S80 box? for reliability and reasonable cruising experience

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Id just bolt the itr box in.
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    You have a B16A2 from a VTi-R EK or Del Sol right? I don't think that the S4C that comes with that engine is the same as the CTR one w/LSD you listed the ratios for.

Even if the ratios are similar you are still benefiting from a better final drive and an LSD. So either way you're still gaining performance in acceleration and handling. I would bolt up the ITR box.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015