DC5R Gearbox Oil

Hey guys,

I have searched just about every thread on ITR forums and others on this topic and have found mixed results. I am doing the first service on me DC5R since i bought it (coming up on 140kms) and the major thing i want to focus on is the gearbox oil as it feels a little stiff at times and also have the standard issue with 2nd gear feeling a little notchy. Many people on the threads have claimed they have had success clearing that issue using different gearbox oils other than Honda MTF like AMSOIL, redline etc.

The reason im making this thread is that i was convinced that AMSOIL was the way to go so i called a distributor to order it and he informed me that it is not suitable for a LSD gearbox. However many people of the forums have used it before without issue

The Reline gearbox oil also states that 'not for use in differentials with hypoid gears' Not sure if that applys to the dc5r gearbox.

Here are the links to the AMSOIL and Redline Gearbox oil, please confirm is they are the correct ones:

AMS: http://lubricationmanagement.com.au/...&product_id=55
    Redline: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Manua.../dp/B0041EDM6U

If they are the correct ones, can you please confirm if they are suitable for DC5R LSD Gearbox? As stated before, the only reason im not buying the Honda MTF is because most people that have used these two have stated that they are much smoother and ease the issue with 2nd gear.

I honestly do not mind paying top dollar for oil if it is going to be an improvement over the honda MTF.

Thank you

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Yes those are the correct viscosities to use for a DC5R gearbox for general street use. The fellow at Amsoil probably advised it wasn't suitable for LSD transmissions thinking that it was a clutch type LSD, but the OEM LSD is helical so it only has gears in it, with no substantial friction/wear surfaces. So it doesn't need a special oil.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I regularly use Penrite Pro Gear 75W85 and have great success with it. It can be purchased locally at any parts store for around the $35 mark for 2.5L
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys! ordered 2 querts of the AMSOIL and keen to try it out!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type R
    I'm going to pick up a couple of bottles of the Amsoil this week and try it myself too. There's a shop on the Gold Coast that sells it over the counter $17.70 a quart.

Loads of Honda guys raving about it on other forums.
    Last weekend I finally sorted a long standing 2nd gear crunch issue out by making a small adjustment on the clutch pedal.
    So I'm going to celebrate by giving the gearbox some new lube.

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    this stuff is the bom diggity, using it in my dc5r box

part time potato

Let me just say guys I ended up buying the AMSoil for my gearbox after this thread. The difference was immediate. The Gearbox is much smoother, no notchy 2nd gear, Works perfect on cold for those times when your unable to warm her up and the box just generally feels much more tighter.

Would highly recommend AMS oil.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type R
    I put the Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid on the weekend.
    As soon as I put it in, shifting felt different particularly when cold.

But after running with it for 200km I've decided to go back to Honda MTF
    The Amsoil felt notchy and weird after a few days. Under lubricated and not as smooth.
    The new Honda MTF 06 feels really smooth.
    Last edited by 02DC5R; 23-08-2014 at 11:29 AM.