Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5/rex/integra

Civic EU interchangeable with other civics, lower control arm, starter motor?

HI All,

Mrs has a civic EU and I havent been on OZHONDA in a very long time so my knowledge in this area next to nothing.

Car: 2000 Honda Civic EU 1.7l vi

Two things:

1. front lower control bushing has teared and so ive been looking around on AUS and US ebay and a new arm with bushes is fairly cheap. But my concern is whether that part from the US can be used on the AUS Spec EU civic and whether those there other year models that fit. Assuming the years are the same and pictures look similar to what I can see under the car.

2. Car decided it didnt want to start 2 months ago. Mechanic changed battery and terminals and supposedly fiddled around with the cables to the starter motor and it started working again. Car runnin beautifully up until today. Decided not to start again.
    Anyone know if the starter motor could be the issue? If so, Which year/models can i purchase for it to fit. Have scoped out Ebay US and its fairly cheap but i cant be 100% it will fit.

If people have a picture of what both items look like that suit my mdoel car that would be beneficial.

Cheers.

I would say a starter from a UK civic hatch would or should fit our civic sedans since both use the R18A2 engine.

Check voltage of the battery, you could have a charging problem or a parasitic draw issue.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5/rex/integra
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    I would say a starter from a UK civic hatch would or should fit our civic sedans since both use the R18A2 engine.

Check voltage of the battery, you could have a charging problem or a parasitic draw issue.
    Thanks mate, Forgot to mention the car is a Civic 5 door hatch VI model - EU series. Good to note its a 1.7l, D17a engine if im not wrong.

Not battery since we've done battery/alternator test. Not sure what a parasitic thing your talking about.

You're talking about the EP series hatch.
    From 2006-2011 it was the FK(5 door) and FN(3 door) chassis.
    The FK2 and FN1 had the R18A2 engine

A parasitic draw is when something is drawing power from the battery when it shouldn't be in other words acting like a parasite and draining power from the battery.

To test, firsly make sure your multi meter is set to the AMPs scale and probes are in the sockets for testing AMPS (DO NOT SET IT TO THE MILLIAMPS or mA) and turn on.
    the remove the ground cable, attach a multimeter probe to the cable and touch the other probe to the negative battery post.

It should spike to a amp or so then go down as the ECU goes into sleep mode and the lights turn off.
    If the current draw is higher than 0.05Amps or 50mA if your multi meter is auto ranging you may have a parasitic draw issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0
    Last edited by Grayfox; 11-04-2014 at 12:52 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000

he is talking about a d17 engine m8
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5/rex/integra
    You're talking about the EP series hatch.
    From 2006-2011 it was the FK(5 door) and FN(3 door) chassis.
    The FK2 and FN1 had the R18A2 engine

A parasitic draw is when something is drawing power from the battery when it shouldn't be in other words acting like a parasite and draining power from the battery.

To test, firsly make sure your multi meter is set to the AMPs scale and probes are in the sockets for testing AMPS (DO NOT SET IT TO THE MILLIAMPS or mA) and turn on.
    the remove the ground cable, attach a multimeter probe to the cable and touch the other probe to the negative battery post.

It should spike to a amp or so then go down as the ECU goes into sleep mode and the lights turn off.
    If the current draw is higher than 0.05Amps or 50mA if your multi meter is auto ranging you may have a parasitic draw issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0
    Thanks for the info but I'm talking about the EU series not ep or any other series. But your comment is on general terms anyway. Battery seems fine as we've done a test.

Definite know it's not battery as we Got the car started last night in one shot. But we are unsure why it won't and will start intermittently. Im leaning towards starter motor almost on its way. Can this unit die slowly or does it just die straight away?

One the other note, anyone know if the parts are interchangeable?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    I think your best bet would be a different D series starter motor.

ref: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1260408
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Didn't know there was an EU civic.

When you said EU i thought you meant European.

LOL