New to Hondas. CRX help?

Hi guys. Relatively new to hondas (I briefly had a civic eh si when I was on my P's. )

Now i'm looking at getting into car modifications and apparently an EG or EK civic are great platforms for beginners.

In my search for a suitable civic I came across a 1993 CRX (or Del Sol) for $4000 1.6 vtec. Its been horribly advertised, which is probably why it hasn't sold.

It look very straight and the owner claims it works perfectly. 170,000kms and a months rego.

I organized to have a look and test drive tomorrow. Is there anything I should be aware of with this model when inspecting?

Is this a cheap price?

Would this be suitable for a beginners tinker car/daily, or should I keep searching for an EG civic?

Thanks for your input.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman View Post
    Is this a cheap price?

Would this be suitable for a beginners tinker car/daily, or should I keep searching for an EG civic?
    If you ask me, it's a pretty fair price.

This would be a good first step, it already (should) have a B16 which EG's in Australia didn't.

Goodluck with the search and welcome to OzHonda
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    If its clean its a great price in my opinion. The problem with pricing is sometimes you see one up for $3800 or so with "only 118,000kms!" and people get it stuck in their heads that this is how much you can get them for.

Other than the normal checks you would do with any EG/EK etc, I would get a hose out, put it at a level that you would deem equal to heavy rain, and spend 5 minutes spraying water all over the car.

This car is awesome but over time the seals and drainage pipes/holes can deteriorate and clog up. After your rain dance, check for water in you foot wells (this comes through a hole behind your fenders or below your windscreen), in the boot (tail lights or the seal underneath the garneshes behind the back window), and around the roof seals to see if water is coming in. Also drive it after this and see if you can hear sloshing and water running around behind you. If there is, the rear drain plugs for the rear window are clogged and you're going to be removing your interior and rear window assembly to get to them.

All of these are easy fixes and cheap (if you DIY) other than the seals which are very expensive.

They are great cars overall and fun to drive. If this particular car your are looking at isn't the one, still focus on your test drive and see if you like the car. Chances are (if you don't mind having only 2 seats) you're going to love it.

Report back on what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    Other than the normal checks you would do with any EG/EK etc,
    What would these normal checks be?

Two seats doesn't worry me, its the lack of space in the boot compared to a hatch, but if it is fun to drive, i can overlook that.

The del sol has lots of similarities to an eg civic so i think its a good pick.
    Last edited by Renaissance_x; 10-04-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Not all del sols come with b16's. All aus delivered ones did but there are jap imports with d's... They are decent cars but not too sure if id track one they are heavy and flimsy compared to a solid shell say eg. I think an eg is a better track car lighter and basically a baby dc2 so most things are compatible with the chassis with little to no modifications required.

However for street a del sol would be fine and the removable roof is a plus.
    CeeKay > CK > Chris

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    being an owner of 2x del sol previously

the del sol is the ideal car to tinker(modify) if you dont care about 2seater factor.

There are alot of things going for it.
    *Removeable targa roof.
    *Zippy 1.6L fuel economy engine (b16a )
    *Overall fun car to drive
    *Parts for suspension and engine can be interchanged with the EG civic.

While these cars should be priced more finding an example for $4000 is nothing to be too worried about but you should also have it checked over entirely to safe guard yourself.

These are the very things i would be checking on a del sol when buying

* i know everyone does this but still good to check is the chassis/vin number , engine no get double checked by the road authority(Vicroads,RTA) if this seller is putting it up for $4000 you want to be sure its not stolen/written off.

*All electrics mirrors, doors, even that back window is electric so check that also. Chassic specific parts like the del sol are often rare so you really need make sure all of this stuff is in working order

*With the roof on. throw a bucket of water on top to make sure its sealing proper in areas like where the top of the window meets the roof and the roof is providing a proper seal all the way around the windscreen the back etc etc.

*Remove the roof and put it in the cradle in the boot. This is really import as if it doesnt clip in properly can make annoying rattling sounds when driving. I have seen examples where the craddle is warped before hand.

What i like del sol also is u can low em and fit 15x8 dish wheels no problem .

s2k seats in the del sol seems to suit so much

Last edited by Snoop_gee; 10-04-2014 at 08:01 AM.

If you do buy it (or another), here is something you should immediately replace. The plastic clips on the ends of the boot lock actuator rod (connects the lever on the key barrel to the lever on the boot latch). One of the girls over on crxaustralia.com had one break on her Delsol and the rod disconnected. There is absolutely no way to open the boot, no access at all. She had to cut a hole in the panel behind the number plate to release the catch. USDM cars had this remedied with a remote cable release, AUDM did not.