Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

straight knocking noise after installing springs

hey community.
    my mate and I were installing lowered springs onto on front of my 07 jazz, while he was removing the shocking (left front passenger side) the hub drop down and believed the cv joint drive shaft came out with it cause when we put the shock back in with the lowered spring we wouldn't line up the hub bolts to the shock. it look us near 5 hours to finger what was the problem. once we did we took the drive shaft to a mechanic to repair then install it back on the jazz and continue lowering the drive side. About 2 weeks after that day I started to hear this knocking sound while driving, feel like a single loud vibrating knock from under my feet near the engine when I brake or sometime steer, sometime it happens sometime it doesn't it weird cause theirs no pattern. it does it ones when i brake but when i brake again it doesnt happen same while steering sometime it doesnt hsppen at all. The car has on 78000k and brought from the dealers about a month ago she isn't due for a service till another 2000k. I don't know where to start with this issue and in need of help before I take it in to have it look like. any help would be appreciated thanks

I'm guessing it didn't happen before you lowered it?

If so I think you're already know the problem
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

no it didn't and it didn't happen 2 weeks after I lowered it too

Hmmm, does it happen at any particular speed or rpm?

Is it auto or manual?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

thanks for the reply dreadangel its auto cvt and no like I said there's no pattern to when it happens but today I realized when i brake really hard at high speed it happens but sometime when I'm turning normally too

Check your FRONT swaybar end links.
    They are probably loose or broken.

I've just checked and there isn't any problem with them

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Check your FRONT swaybar end links.
    They are probably loose or broken.
    I second that. Exactly what I left out.

When I was taking the shocks apart I undid the bottom swaybar nut by just a tiny bit. I then figured out i didn't have to undo the nut, so I proceeded to do my thing and forgotten about that nut. I got the exact same symptoms. no pattern, just random knocking - also happens when i violently zig zag the car.

My advise is check both nuts if you have loosened them recently. Stick an allen key in it and tighten the shit out of it (of course to torque spec)
    Never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

okay thanks it hasn't happen the last few days but I'll definitely double check on the weekend, I'm on the freeway everyday to work and so paranoid

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    ahaha, when i took the coilovers out of my jazz i put in my old struts which had about 100k kms on them, the CV joint for mine on the passenger side also came apart inside the boot, we had to take the whole knuckle, hub and driveshaft out and fiddle with the joint then reinstall it to the car. it happens on manuals and CVT jazzes too.

anyway my dirvers side strut had a sort of rattle, mainly noticed when going over uneven ground it would rattle but not affect the steering. was just a noise and slight vibration.

Now i would advise this, check the Lower Ball joint that holds the knuckle to the lower control arm, if its blown then you can feel a shudder and noise when steering braking and going over things.
    if the ball joint is fine replace your damper, this is what caused my noises the spring was kinda jumping and knocking and not being kept tight by the damper on rebound.

I don't think that I would need to replace anything cause this didn't happen till I I lowered the jazz, unless it's the spring or something I'm a newbie when it comes to this so I Ellenton know where to start. considering on going back to stock springs

I wouldn't know where to start *