Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    The engine comps might be off but if it doesn't lose much oil and drives well enough - would you really spend 5000?

You are buying an old car don't forget
    This is good advice. Anything above 200 seems okay to me, but also remember compression testers are supposed to be used to check for consistency between cylinders, they aren't completely reliable when it comes to max figures.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    The engine comps might be off but if it doesn't lose much oil and drives well enough - would you really spend 5000?

You are buying an old car don't forget
    Yeah if they're all consistently above 200 and within 5-10% that's fine, I'm aware that it's an old car so I'll be happy with anything above 200. But if it's more than 10% apart between highest and lowest, it's just a ticking time bomb. If one cylinder's 215 and the other 190, it's not been taken care of at some point during its life. I'd want an engine that's been warmed up/down properly and has had regular oil changes.

I'm only willing to spend that money if it's really cheap lol, I'm just weighing my options at the moment so I'm fully aware of the costs involved down the road if required. Instead of just buying one and then go oh sh*t later on hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    This is good advice. Anything above 200 seems okay to me, but also remember compression testers are supposed to be used to check for consistency between cylinders, they aren't completely reliable when it comes to max figures.
    Yeah they're meant to fall within 5-10% between the highest and lowest. But the closer they are the better
    Last edited by arcenite; 22-04-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by arcenite View Post
    Yeah they're meant to fall within 5-10% between the highest and lowest. But the closer they are the better
    Yeah that's right. Consistency is a good indicator of how well it's been maintained as you stated.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    Yeah that's right. Consistency is a good indicator of how well it's been maintained as you stated.
    So sad to see S2000's that haven't been taken care of =/, there're so few in Australia.