Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000 Clubman

Can I get a short shifter in Oz?

I am looking to replace my OEM gear stick with a short shifter. It may sound like sacrilege, but I have put an AP1 motor and gearbox into a clubman, and the gear stick hits the dash in 1st, 3rd and 5th.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    Have you tried using a countersunk gear knob? If the lack of clearance is a few mm a countersunk gear knob that sits lower on the threaded stick might be a cheap solution.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    I don't think so. Maybe someone's selling a secondhand one on S2Ki or something if you're lucky
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000 Clubman
    Thanks for the suggestion black7thgen.

I had seen reference to this option on other forums, but am not totally convinced that it would do the job. Even thought of tapping more threads onto the existing stick, but some worry.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000 Clubman
    I will give that a try, thanks curtis265

Member Array
    Car:
    trotts
    What about putting a offset in the OEM one?
    BONUS ROUND
    There is still room on the bandwagon for you.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by thebob View Post
    What about putting a offset in the OEM one?
    any more info on this? Not heard of it
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000 Clubman
    Hi thebob and for curtis265,
    I gave this serious thought in the beginning, but not wanting to demolish the only gear stick I have I went in another direction. The issue is that I do not know what is in the thick part of the OEM, and I was sure that any welding would melt the cradle that locates the bottom end in the gearbox housing. I would be very happy to hear how it is done if you know or have seen it done.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9
    Hi there, I purchased a short throw shifter from OBX i think it was.. (some china brand) and it just felt CRAP. I even tried using different rubbers/bushings (I got some from an Audi which somehow was the same..) - It was SHORTER but .. 1st gear and reverse were just.. unnatural it made the car feel like my van (which has a disasterous shifter lol).

I highly advise against buying one.
    BWAAHHHHHHH

just saw this.... s2000 clubman would be interesting.

from what i know i thought the f20 engine was too tall to fit.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000 Clubman
    Hi SLIMX
    Thanks for the advice on the Chinese option. I have looked a few US sites, but nothing seems to be available there any-more - happy to be corrected by anone who has found one.

Sensei, in my clubbie the motor protrudes 30mm below the chassis and about 50mm through the bonnet. So you are right in one respect, however I was able to source a carbon scoop from the UK that solves the bonnet problem beautifully. There are now quite a few F20C powered clubbies around the country, and I believe there will be 4 at an informal gathering in Narooma in late November - should be fun.

On the matter of offsetting/modifying the OEM stick I am advised by one of the other clubbie F20C builders that it is really not an option as the thick part of the stick is only a shell with a solid rubber material inside it - once cut/broken it is for the rubbish bin. Still thinking about the extra threads or recessed knob.

Dont modify your oem shifter, its not something you can really find in a junk yard very often. You're better off buying a china brand one and modifiying it to the way you like. Ever looked into AIR SHIFTERS? - They look pretty sick I know my s2k could do with one of those setups :P