Member Array
    Car:
    1999 EK1

GAB SS Coilovers without top hats, issue with bump stops.

Hey all.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Mat and I drive a 1999 EK1 Civic as a daily.

I'm a DIY'er, at first I worked on my own cars out of necessity - back then I was at uni and didn't want to pay a mechanic so I spent hours learning from great sources of information much similar to this forum. Now I've developed a wealth of knowledge that I can confidently tackle the majority of task myself, if I don't know - I'll do my research and then proceed with trial and error.

I bought GAB SS series coilovers, but without the pillow ball top hats - as mentioned this is my daily and I desire longevity and comfort over outright performance. I was told that the OEM top hats will work, and I forsee they could but it's not a straight fit.

Now to my problem, I've done my searches and unable to turn up anyone with the same situation as me.

The OEM shock absorbers have a M10 rod, and as such the bump stops have an inner diameter of 10mm.

The GAB shock absorbers have a M12 rod, subsequently these bump stops have an inner diameter of 12mm.
    EK1 Civic top hats (3).JPG

Now the OEM bump stops are pressed in to the top hats, my question is can I press the OEM bump stop out and replace with the GAB ones?

EK1 Civic top hats (2).JPG
    EK1 Civic top hats (1).JPG

I should mention the GAB bump stops are marginally smaller than the OEM bump stops in diameter, 42mm vs 40mm. Just note that that's measuring the OEM bump stops pressed into place vs the GAB ones not.

I've attached photos that show the OEM top hats assembly, and a photo showing the difference in ID of the bump stops.

Will the GAB bump stops feel compelled to expand to size when pressed in? Otherwise I imagine that they may be slightly loose in the top hat.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

That's not a bump stop, it is a mounting bush. The bump stop is under the black accordian boot on the shock.

But as for your question, yes it will be fine to use the gab bushes in the top hat, the only locate the shock rod and anchor it. Once tightened down they will expand a little.

Hope this helps
    Using Tapatalk