Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro

Head Up Displays

Hi, All

I've just purchased a Polaris HUD, as I find the 50Kph mark on my CU2 speedo can be hard to read at a glance.

The Polaris projects a double image onto the windscreen.

Is it because of the windscreen laminations? I've tried placing the HUD in many positions, but the double image/ghost persists. Using the supplied plastic piece on the screen does eliminate a lot of the double-imaging, but I would find it hard to become accustomed to a black shape in front of my eyes.

Anybody had experience of the Polaris? Anybody.

CHEERS

Follow-up: Perhaps I'm hard to please, but I find it very hard to fit the unit on my CU2 dash-top, because of its curves, and the slope of the screen. The display also reflects off the dash-board, putting a green glow on the screen. Perhaps using the plastic piece would help?

An interesting feature is that on the hud, speed-calibration is possible, so that it reads the same as the speedo, if desired. I prefer to use the gps speed readout.

BTW Anybody noticed that some police cars on tv's "Highway Patrol" have what appears to be a red hud readout on their windscreens?

NOEL
    Last edited by noel; 16-05-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: to add follow-up

Member Array
    Car:
    lude s2k ge8
    ive done some reading up on them.

one huge part i read over and over suggested you needed a nice crisp piece of plastic on the window (as opposed to a lightly crinkled one) (to clarify on that, what i read suggested almost everyone crinkles their first plastic thingy and that some companies supply 2 for that reason)

also, any tinting can make a difference, and as you already said; changing the location slightly closer or further from windscreen can make a difference.

oh and lighting makes a difference! some people said driving at night time it can be a single image and day time a double visa versa

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro

Head Up Display

Hello, Torell

Ta for your thoughts on my HUD issue.

I went out last night and found the windscreen image to be good. The double-imaging wasn't as prominent as during the day. In fact, it appeared that the digits were presented as a font with a 'shadow', but the shadow was stood-off a little, with a small gap between them; I hope that is not too vague. I'll play with placement to find the optimal position. Perhaps the double-imaging changes by looking at it from a different angle, sitting taller, etc. I'd prefer not to have to use the plastic piece on the screen.

I haven't firmly fixed the unit to the dash-top, yet, but am using a strip of that plastic 'with the holes' used for holding phones, etc, in place.

The swoops and curves of the Euro dash-top make it a bit difficult to find a good spot for the Polaris; I would prefer minimal intrusion into my vision, but there is a place for everything.

Feedback on the Polaris: It has, so far, been slow to initially pick up the satellites (last night it took about one kilometre, but the vehicle was on the move).

The display, set on maximum brightness, is not intrusive, at night, good given the unit appears not to have auto-brightness, as adjustment would be difficult on the move.

Those buttons on the front can be easily bumped, especially by this clumsy old sod.

The unit appears to respond quickly to changing speeds and, unlike my gps unit, isn't still 'winding down' the digits, even when the vehicle has actually stopped.

I want to mount it out of sight behind the instrument binnacle and find there is not much mounting room on the Euro, so that the unit is quite close to the windscreen, where there is little room to tilt it, in a bid to kill the double image.

Hope the above helps.

CHEERS
    NOEL

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    The double image youre seeing is because most windshields are laminated glass
    vtak + jrsc = bwwaaaahinneeeee

IF GUNS don't kill people, people kill people does that mean that toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?