Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B18C2 EG Civic

D16 to D15? What should I do?

So I'm in the process of buying a cheap ED9 CRX (D16A8), and before I could do anything a small engine knock developed. The guy took it to his mechanic and he thought it might be the big end bearing going, but he doesn't know. A friend of mine has a crashed EG with a D15B7 and all the other stuff I'd need for a conversion, which he's offered to me for about $300. The guy selling the CRX says he'll buy and swap in the D15 for me with my help, or take off the cost of the D15 and sell it to me as is.

So, I've got three options:
    • Buy the car and drive it until something goes bad, then swap in my mate's D15, or possibly a B16 or something if I can afford it
    • Swap the D15 in and buy it
    • Don't buy it

If I were to swap in the D15, what would that involve? Does it bolt right up? Does the loom plug right in? Will I need the D15's ECU?

Also, if I were to get a recording of what the knock sounds like, do you think you guys could help diagnose it?

Thanks in advance.

the d15 will literally bolt right up. Just reuse the existing gearbox and driveshafts - it will reuse its wiring / engine mounts etc.
    You will need the d15s ecu.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B18C2 EG Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    the d15 will literally bolt right up. Just reuse the existing gearbox and driveshafts - it will reuse its wiring / engine mounts etc.
    You will need the d15s ecu.
    The D15 has 100,000 less KMs, so would it be worth it to put the new box and driveshafts in too?

*EDIt didnt read topic entirely.
    Last edited by bennjamin; 08-05-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B18C2 EG Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Then why not. It makes the whole process a lot easier - drop in one package.
    How long do you reckon it would take for two people with no swap experience to do it?

its fairly straight forward - disconnect everyone from the engine / box and drop , reinstall. Id say a good weekend and a few beers.
    You have to be careful with the shift linkage (the cotter / split pin) - there are a few tricks to crack the balll joints etc too.
    Im sure you can just ask here before or during to get u thru it.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Custard View Post
    The D15 has 100,000 less KMs, so would it be worth it to put the new box and driveshafts in too?
    you can't use the box from the EG. It's hydro, all ED-EF civics/crxs use cable operated clutches. So it's not a bolt in procedure.

Use the gearbox that came with the D16A8...
    Last edited by markismaximus; 08-05-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    you can't use the box from the EG. It's hydro, all ED-EF civics/crxs use cable operated clutches. So it's not a bolt in procedure.

Use the gearbox that came with the D16A8...

I didnt read the topic entirely (replying on iphone) and Mark is right about the gearbox.
    If thats the case as said you have to use the flywheel / clutch and gearbox / driveshafts off the d16a8 with the d15b7 motor.