Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    98 ek b18cr
    I'll do some more research and see what there is that I can find out. Worse comes to worse, I'll replace the guide seals and work from there.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyln.bxtr View Post
    I'll do some more research and see what there is that I can find out. Worse comes to worse, I'll replace the guide seals and work from there.
    Again mate, trial and error is gonna hurt ur wallet. Do it once, do it right.

Stop reading all the bullsh#t on the net. Cos there are people like me who will steer you in the wrong direction just for kicks. (there are people much worse then me on this forum)

Member Array
    Car:
    98 ek b18cr
    I'm gonna send it to a shop while I'm up north qld. Get him to have a look over it all and give it a good inspection. Pick up anything that needs repairs and sort out the smoking.
    I am still tempted to rebuild the engine though, mainly for reliability and to remove any gremlins that the horrid previous owners left.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    I'm gonna send it to a shop while I'm up north qld. Get him to have a look over it all and give it a good inspection. Pick up anything that needs repairs and sort out the smoking.
    I am still tempted to rebuild the engine though, mainly for reliability and to remove any gremlins that the horrid previous owners left.
    I hate playing catch up servicing
    It seems as though when you try to fix the car, something else is breaks, its a freakin domino affect i tell ya
    I guess its what happens when you have a 20 year old car that hasn't been serviced regulrly
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    98 ek b18cr
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    I hate playing catch up servicing
    It seems as though when you try to fix the car, something else is breaks, its a freakin domino affect i tell ya
    I guess its what happens when you have a 20 year old car that hasn't been serviced regulrly
    And abused for all it's life.

That's what has been happening. It's a never ending chain reaction. Once you're done you pretty much have a new car again.

I don't know how someone can just treat something so awfully, when it has cost so much to purchase. It's like "oh yeah, it's only 10g, it's like pocket money".

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    And abused for all it's life.

That's what has been happening. It's a never ending chain reaction. Once you're done you pretty much have a new car again.

I don't know how someone can just treat something so awfully, when it has cost so much to purchase. It's like "oh yeah, it's only 10g, it's like pocket money".
    I would buy an old car and run it into the ground

What's the harm in that

Cheaper than fixing it up
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    98 ek b18cr
    Because I can't exactly say a type r is a cheap car.... Haha

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Something I believe a lot of people need to come to terms with is that cars are machines, machines are comprised of parts, parts always reach a breaking point.

In short, machines break and that is just a characteristic you need to accept. It's not breaking because you have bad luck, and it probably is not because the previous owner forgot to do a few oil changes.. it's an old car with old parts.

Even if you rebuild the whole engine that does not by any means guarantee that nothing will break.

It's part of owning a car, things break, you fix them when they do.
    Last edited by Super-DA9; 12-07-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    98 ek b18cr
    I understand that things break. But my 98 d series had absolute no issues at all. No smoke, no knocking. Ran perfect.
    Compared to the 2000 type r engine, which may I add is a far more expensive item, has had nothing but issues.
    With proper maintenance and care, a machine will last a life time. Parts will give out over time, but the issue I have had is that the previous owners haven't cared to change them as they have broken. Just ignored it with the mentality of, it's not worth fixing, which is why we end up in this situation.
    A 1970 Holden v8 built by Australia, has outlasted my japenese built 2000 4 cylinder. Which, by all means, should definitely be the other way around.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Just because a B18CR is more expensive than a D series doesn't make it more reliable. You're forgetting that it's much more highly strained than a low compression economy engine.

Also forgetting to factor in that the B18CR probably gets driven a lot harder (by you and the previous owner) than the economy based D series.

As I already told you, B series are notorious for worn valve guides with age. It is not surprising that it's smoking with age.

Take it from a guy who has actually rebuilt his B18 twice (so you know I'm not some forum troll spouting shit), rebuilding does not change the fact that regardless of how often you change the oil etc stuff is going to break. If you bolt on a turbo to the engine it will break things even more often.

If you want to rebuild, go ahead, it's a fun thing to do. If you want a turbo, go ahead. But just don't expect the problems to come to a halt because of it.

On a side note I have two questions simply out of curiousity:

1 - Why did you buy the engine if you know it's been very poorly maintained?
    2 - What parts were "left broken" by the previous owner of the engine?
    Last edited by Super-DA9; 12-07-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    I understand that things break. But my 98 d series had absolute no issues at all. No smoke, no knocking. Ran perfect.
    Compared to the 2000 type r engine, which may I add is a far more expensive item, has had nothing but issues.
    With proper maintenance and care, a machine will last a life time. Parts will give out over time, but the issue I have had is that the previous owners haven't cared to change them as they have broken. Just ignored it with the mentality of, it's not worth fixing, which is why we end up in this situation.
    A 1970 Holden v8 built by Australia, has outlasted my japenese built 2000 4 cylinder. Which, by all means, should definitely be the other way around.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    9000rpm cold shifts

nuff said
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre