Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oddessey Dry Cell

hey guys,

ive got an oddessey dry cell batter, however all of a sudden it seems to have failed on me.. its like theres no more power coming out of it.

i put in another battery and the car runs fine. so ive narrowed it down to it being the dry cell batteries fault.

the question is.. how long is the oddessey dry cell battery suppose to last for, i was told its suppose to out last many of the ordinary batteries (3yrs).

whats the go with this? ive only had it since late 03.

are the dry cell batteries rechargable? ive got one of those wall charging things, is it wise to charge the dry cell up with the wall chargers?

how pump back power into the quite expensive battery that was suppose to outlast ordinary batteries?

regards,
    willy

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Yes, recharge your battery. The Odyssey can withstand full discharging, so it should work like new after you recharge it unless there is a fault inside.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

a fault inside?
    please tell me they have some sorta lifetime warranty...

Member Array
    Car:
    Twisted
    Have you tried to charge it?
    If you have and it still doesnt work then its rooted, send it back for warrenty!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by BRU51N
    a fault inside?
    please tell me they have some sorta lifetime warranty...
    Warranty = 4years

Industry's best warranty
    Depending on your application (powersports, auto-motive, etc.) ODYSSEY batteries offer up to a 4-year full replacement warranty or within 400 cycles to 80% depth of discharge, whichever occurs first. Since the actual warranty offered can vary with your geographical location, please check with your ODYSSEY representative for the warranty specific to your application.
    Taken from:
    http://www.odysseyfactory.com/why.htm

Although that looks like the international Odyssey site

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by BRU51N
    a fault inside?...
    Here, read this and the FAQ pages. The plates inside deteriorate as the battery discharges. When you recharge the battery the plates fix themselves. If you deep cycle a battery the plates normally won't fix themselves unless you have a battery made for this. If there was a thin spot on the plate(s) this would make the plate break down faster. This is the easiest way to explain this to anyone so hopefully it helps.

ill get it charged up now.. ill get back to you guys later tonight on if it works or not

if it doesnt im sending it back for warranty, as ive only had it for 3yrs

woohoo!

recharged it for about 20hrs, and the battery works fine!

thanks for the tips guys

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Beat
    i know alot of people that have had issues with there optimias
    i currently have mine and its dead got it charged up worked fine for a week and then it died agiine?
    i got just a cheapo 50 buck on and its doing the job fine

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Optima D51 and D51R had a design defect. The spiral cells were too thin that they fracture. That's why Optima has discontinued this size until they develop a replacement.

Odysseys don't have this problem.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    I use SVR in all our cars, daily drivers, race, and stereo. I have had mine 6 years and it's still going strong. We have some that have lasted over 6 years. Average is 5 years+, never gotten a bad one, knock on wood! Also they cost less then Optima and have 1.5 times the amps.

I have had two odyssey dry cell battery's die on me! One was running in my old civic, never let it run down! some how it just started loosing its ability to hold charge! Second died after sitting for over 12months. Used a deep cycle battery charger with no luck (was "told" the odyssey needs a special battery charger (any truth to this??) so I picked one up from Autobahn for $150) After several attempts to charge, the charger read "cell fault" Since then i have installed an Optima blue top, and haven't had any troubles. Anyhow Glad u got it sorted though!!!