Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000, DC2R

Car won't start after new distributor install..dc2r

Hey guys

So recently my dc2r was struggling to start when the engine is fully cold. Although it struggled it would eventually turn over and start. When it was warm it would start easily from then on, until I leave it to fully cool down. Also I should mention that once the car is warm and i've been driving for a while at times mainly in the lower gears and below 2000rpm, the car would sputter/misfire.

As a maintenance precaution I changed out my ignition leads to NGK knowing that i needed new ones anyways. This didn't help, car still struggled to start. Then i changed out the spark plugs to NGK irdiums and still no help. Last I replaced a whole new distributor and this is when the problem occurred, now it wont start at all.

I marked the position of the distributor before taking it out and made sure to line up the new one exactly. I checked that all my ignition leads were reconnected in the right order

3 4
    1 2

I checked all ignition coils and there are sparks coming from each, which means the distributor is working (I even removed the distributor to make sure I installed it correctly and in the right way). I checked the battery and its perfectly fine.

When I say it wont start, I mean the engine doesn't even crank i just hear what sounds like a buzzing sound which seems to be the starter motor. It seems that the starter motor cant turn the engine.

I've been doing some reading and I know some suggested that it could be the timing since the distributor may have moved....but even if it moved slightly the car should still start it might just be rough right?

Have any of you guys experienced anything similar?

any help or input would be much appreciated

Thanks

Disconnect battery

Check the starter motor ground is securely fastened to the clip point, check the main power cable to starter is firmly attached
    Check main fuses in the engine bay box

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Your Battery is flat

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000, DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Disconnect battery

Check the starter motor ground is securely fastened to the clip point, check the main power cable to starter is firmly attached
    Check main fuses in the engine bay box
    Thanks for that will check tonight after work

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000, DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    Your Battery is flat
    I checked the battery and it's a healthy battery. It definitely has enough cranking power to turn the engine

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000, DC2R
    Okay guys just an update replaced a new battery today since the old one is weak and over 5 years old. However this did not make a difference. I've taken a video to show the noise the car makes when i try to start the engine. I also opened the oil cap and got a mate to try and start the car. The camshaft is moving so the distributor is installed correctly and working. Tomorrow I will check fuel pump/filter for blockages. If it isnt the fuel then im pretty stumped unless its something electrical like a blown fuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awkHGuNLRrc

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    geez

sounds like starter gear stripped

Member Array
    Car:
    lude s2k ge8
    Im with ^^^

Unless somehow during all that work u left water in distributor cap

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    starter not having a boner. take out the starter and test it
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Check ECT sensor for the cold start issue

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000, DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    geez

sounds like starter gear stripped
    thanks for the replies guys will check the starter motor. also what do you guys mean starter gear stripped? and if this is the case will a new starter motor fix the issue? I just didnt think it could be the starter because i literally drove the car from the street into the apartment car park to change the distributor. I changed the distributor and next thing it wont start up?? can the starter gear really strip in that time?

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000, DC2R
    Also could this be an immobiliser issue? or will the car not make any noise at all if its the immobiliser?