Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda CRV 2005

Advice on wiring steering wheel controls

Hi All,

Visited this forum many times for info for my Accord Euro, but just got a 2005 CRV as well. Looking to put a new stereo in as the original is still in there.

Will probably get a cheap Sony head unit for USB/Mp3 and tuner.

My question relates to the steering wheel controls for the volume, channel, etc. (There is no bluetooth or phone controls)

I have wired quite a few stereos in my time, but never with steering wheel controls. Is it a big job to wire these in? Will I need to buy a particular type of head unit to have this facility? Can you buy a wiring harness converter to save cutting wires etc?

Hope someone can help with some info. Sorry if this has been done to death before but I have had a look and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Jim

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1
    The custom head unit has to support SWC (steering wheel controls). Check the wiring diagram for SWC and SWC-Ground pins. If it doesn't have it, then no SWC support.

If the SWC came with the car out of the factory, it should be pretty easy to wire up - you'll have to buy a signal converter because you're sending a Honda SWC signal to a non-Honda head unit (i.e., the Sony unit won't recognise a Honda signal). It'll be attached between your car adapter/harness and head unit adapter/harness (refer to the links below).

I'm in the process of doing this myself, and have found a couple of distributors that can help us out:
    http://stingeraustralia.com.au/produ...rch/#models/40 (Check "Retain Steering Wheel Controls" section)
    or
    http://www.connects2.co.uk/Universal...x?id=UNI-SWC.2 (Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface)
    I'll be going to London in July/August so I might pick one up there instead of buying in Australia.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda CRV 2005
    Thanks for the pointers Ned! Good advice - I will look into this a bit closer now. One of the sites has you tube installation clips too.

Cheers,

Jim

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    i am using this unit for my Honda Accord Euro, and its the same unit for any Honda as i was told, its pretty easy to install its just finding the signal wire from your steering wheel which will be the hardest, once you've done that it about pluging it in and programing the buttons to what they need to do

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=29
    MY05 Honda Accord Euro Luxury Auto
    1991 Nissan Pulsar N14 SR20DE (WORKED NA)
    1993 Nissan Pulsar N14 SSS (High Comp N/A)