Thread: OBD1 or OBD2

OBD1 or OBD2

The dreaded "Check engine light" has come on in my 1996 DC4 Integra GSI. I'm pretty sure the issue is the EGR Valve but I want to be sure and see what the check engine code is putting out.

Anyway, How can I check if my car is OBD1 or OBD2? I've read that cars made after 96 (Mine is a November 1996 model) must have OBD2 ports by Law, but also read that Jap import Integras didn't get OBD2 until 1998. Can someone clarify? I've checked under the hood where it has all the Idle specs ETC, but it says nothing about OBD info.

Thanks!

there is no EGR valve in an integra

your car is most likely OBD2 but you can check your ECU plugs or dizzy plug(s)

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by dorikin View Post

96 dc4 is obd1 isnt it
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2/180sx
    96 is obd1, no passenger airbag correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnie View Post
    96 is obd1, no passenger airbag correct?
    Yep no passenger airbag, only driver.

Quote Originally Posted by dorikin View Post

Really, I was told the problem is most likely an EGR Valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyson View Post
    The dreaded "Check engine light" has come on in my 1996 DC4 Integra GSI. I'm pretty sure the issue is the EGR Valve but I want to be sure and see what the check engine code is putting out.

Anyway, How can I check if my car is OBD1 or OBD2? I've read that cars made after 96 (Mine is a November 1996 model) must have OBD2 ports by Law, but also read that Jap import Integras didn't get OBD2 until 1998. Can someone clarify? I've checked under the hood where it has all the Idle specs ETC, but it says nothing about OBD info.

Thanks!

To begin

To tell if the car is OBD1 or OBD2 series just by looking under the hood - look at the dizzy. If its one large plug to the dizzy its OBD2. If one large and one 2 wire small plug its OBD1.

Anyway, to check your MIL code do this

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...K-ECU-for-j00-!

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    1996 was the change over year for most Honda's to OBDIIA, some models got delayed and the Integra's where no exception. As Ben mentioned you can look at the dizzy connector or one of many other differences like the factory immobiliser, ECU connectors or ABS pump.

Integra had no EGR system at all, regardless of your OBD generation your only method for diagnostics is the 2pin SCS connector unless you have access to a scan tool that is compatible with the 3pin DLC