Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 Accord V6

Accord 20080 V6 Fuel Consumption Problem

Hi all,
    i just bought my Accord V6 last 2 month at 81000 km. I see its drink lots of petrol. At begin i know V6 is like that. But when i use the trip computer to calculate, that show me Average 15.5l/100. I know its depend how u drive and traffic but before i drive Toyota Aurion its around 13L only. Just want to hear some experience from all you guy.
    Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Do not rely on the trip computer
    That takes in the AVERAGE
    To calculate fuel consumption
    Fill the tank to full - reset trip A/odometer reading
    Drive around for a few days
    Then fill the tank to fiull
    Record how much fuel as used to 100l of petrol
    I.e - 5 litres of fuel was used, drove 50kms
    So it'lll be 10L/100kms
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

if it help my 08 4 cyl Accord drinks around 17-18L. my xr6 drinks 13l

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 Accord V6
    I full fill my tank is 70L. The maximum DOD show me is 470Km. Its mean arounf 15l/100km. Its to much for this car. I do reset ECU but its didnt change much. What should i do to make it better or find out the reason why its happen. Please help. Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2
    Quote Originally Posted by cuden View Post
    I full fill my tank is 70L. The maximum DOD show me is 470Km. Its mean arounf 15l/100km. Its to much for this car. I do reset ECU but its didnt change much. What should i do to make it better or find out the reason why its happen. Please help. Thanks
    It could be anything. Sorry, there is no straight answer for this. I feel you. Start with regular servicing: oil, air filter, and things as such. Check your spark plugs see if they are in shape or any oil leaked into the cylinder. Check tyres' pressure and tread

Check the smoke coming out of your exhaust if its black then its not burning all of the fuel hence high fuel consumption. Reving your car will make it easy to see.

Could be a bad transmission problem. Could be your O2 sensor. Could your fuel pump. Could be your exhaust pipe clogged up. Could be the things you load up in your car (or yourself if you're fat LEL :P). Could be a faulty brake

And the list goes on and on. Anything that makes the engine NOT working properly will result in somewhat a negative effect on your fuel consumption. Since the car is pretty old it could be a sum of a whole bunch of problems. If your car has OBDII, buy or borrow an OBDII scanner and plug it in to scan for any problem. Then you can start diagnosing and find the culprit. Also, the car is made in 2008 and only driven 81000km, so it is safe to assume the car wasn't driven much during previous ownership. Cars that sit tend to have more component failure than those that get driven regularly. So see if you can get any info from previous owner. It will help your diagnose

Have it looked at by your mechanic, or look at it yourself if you know what youre doing. But start with your driving style first, I would say its the biggest factor. Change your style to grandma style for a tank and see if it makes any difference and you'd better hope it does because you will have to toss some cash to fix your car if it doesn't. Keep in mind mechanics wouldn't know what would be causing your problem. They will just tell you what they think is causing the problem and you will have to pay for them to get it done and see if it improves. Its a hit or miss. But their experience does help. Just saying it may cost you heaps. Might as well do your homework, consider the cost of petrol you would "save" after fixing is worth the repair cost.

As for making it better, I had no results after servicing my car. However, I get better tank mileage by switching petrol and alternative/"cruisy" way to drive to work. But in general, I pretty much flop out $50 every week for a tank of petrol anyway. Well, actually mine went down from 9.2 to 8.3 on average after things like oil change, re-inflate my tyres, went for wheel alignment, change air filter, flush radiator coolant, grandma style with occasional iVTEC LOL, etc. Luckily for me nothing came up for when I did an OBDII scan. But still $50 a week, I've already accepted that fact haha

I know a guy, who was having problem with his fuel consumption as well. Crazily high fuel consumption. Turned out he was driving with wrong tyre size. His tyres were too big compared to factory specifications. So yeah, you never know

PS: Please rep me so I can sell stuff on the market forum LEL
    Last edited by LetsDuDiss; 08-07-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 Accord V6
    Thank for your answer LetsDuDIss. Its true like u said i changed my style to Grandma style lol already but seems its not help a lots. I know there are so many reason effect the consumption. Bring my car to Mechanic he said will charge me $200 just scan and find wat wrong with the car. I think too expensive just for checking rite. Or u recommend me go to Honda Dealer.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2
    Thank for your answer LetsDuDIss. Its true like u said i changed my style to Grandma style lol already but seems its not help a lots. I know there are so many reason effect the consumption. Bring my car to Mechanic he said will charge me $200 just scan and find wat wrong with the car. I think too expensive just for checking rite. Or u recommend me go to Honda Dealer.
    $200 for just a scan? That's a rip off. Should just do it for free LOL or like $30 at most. You would be better off buying your own scanner for under $100 and scan it yourself. You will have something to use in the future and you can regularly check up on your car whenever you want

Don't bring to STEALERS you'll get ripped even harder and the staff at dealers are generally apprentices, they don't know anything. An independent/non-dodgy mechanic would be your best bet.

If your driving style didn't make any change then brace yourself for a journey LOL. Do it step by step, start with changing oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs (spark plugs are meant to be changed every 100 000km but still). You will have to do this soon anyway. Unless you have had it done recently.

If things stay the same, go up a notch, change your fluids, get an OBDII scanner and scan. Fix the problems that are detected. If nothing detected, you're screwed LOL. Sell your car and get a different one because finding the fault will be near impossible or cost a lot of money.

If selling isn't an option for you, well, I don't know what to do LOL. Rely on the mechanic, I guess. They are the experts. Make sure you find the right experts LOL. I can recommend my mechanic to you but I can't guarantee anything. I know for sure they do legit work though. But yeah, that's just worst case scenarios. In general, high fuel consumption can be addressed by small/easy fixes unless your car got abused like a jealous/bitchy step mother to her husband's son LEL
    Last edited by LetsDuDiss; 08-07-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Did you even read my first post
    DO NOT go by the computer gauge
    Do some math
    /sigh

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 Accord V6
    Yes i calculate already mate. I just finish my full tank 70l and read the DOD to show how many km i drive. I didnt read the Computer Trip. The trip A/odometer reading show me full tank reach 470km.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Im just going to leave this thread

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    by "finish full tank" do you mean that you were stuck on the side of the road with no fuel?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Yes i calculate already mate. I just finish my full tank 70l and read the DOD to show how many km i drive. I didnt read the Computer Trip. The trip A/odometer reading show me full tank reach 470km.
    define "Finish"

when the light comes on you still have around 10 litres left give or take in the tank.

Even if the gas light comes on and you only read 450km since the last fuel up, that means you've used 60 litres for 450km's

Which means 13 litres per 100km give or take, which is normal for an urban V6.

Thats on par with Toyota, by the way, if you use E10, expect your mileage to be worse, because it's got less energy per litre
    Last edited by Fredoops; 08-07-2014 at 02:09 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars