Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High flow cat

High flow cat

Hi.

My catalytic converter spat it the other day and now I'm getting that ugly rattling noise and car runs slower probably due to the loss in back pressure. An exhaust place offered me $250 to replace it with a high flow car (probably one they manufacture). Is that a reasonable price?
    More importantly will the high flow cat be better than a standard cat, as I hate not having the right low end back pressure.
    What cats are people running? I have a D16Y8 which is only SOHC VTi. Only mods I have are whale chamber air filter with pod and a 2inch press bent cat back system.

Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Lol just get a standard cat, high flow won't give you anything noticeable anyway
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Yeh I was leaning more towards standard but the guy say it would cost more. I feel he's supplying their own manufactured high flow cat, probably cost him less. Another place told me that if I don't have the right 'cell' cat that my engine light might come on. I have had holes in my piping before and no light ever came on even with the loss in back pressure. I just want low end back pressure.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    If you need backpressure just stick a banana in your exhaust... Now tell me you still need backpressure

The CEL will only come on if you have two o2 sensors - confirm by looking under. Older audm hondas don't have 2.

a my high flow cat cost me $170 + 110 installation. $250 seems decent.
    Last edited by curtis265; 10-07-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    How did u blow ur cat???? Installed a Bee-R rev limiter an didnt reliaze it destroys cats? lol

Just go to wreckers n get a replacement, why bother wasting money on a high flow cat on a stock motor, better off putting that money to sumwere else like a turbo kit or something thats more beneficial

Y8 = Obd2a which is single wire O2 sensor
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Which state are you in? And you can run a 100cel cat with a slight improvement in power. The aim of a free flowing exhaust is to improve power, the aim of a stock cat is emissions. Look at the difference between power outputs of non cat equipped d series motors to ones with cats.....

And it'll feel slower because your cat has collapsed and is restricting flow and increasing back pressure. Dont go for 3" on a na motor, in that case yeah not enough back pressure

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    Gutted cat = best option
    snapping 2nd..

Cheapest option but running no or dummy cat can bring massive fines.
    Even running a 100cel wont pass emissions tests but its mainly so when a cop taps it he feels its not hollow.
    I had no cat on my ae86 for ages, started getting scared with all the defects happening in vic at the time, had a 200cel metal cat fitted and lost a tiny bit of top end but gained a little bottom end.

Quote Originally Posted by dove grey 64 View Post
    Cheapest option but running no or dummy cat can bring massive fines.
    Even running a 100cel wont pass emissions tests but its mainly so when a cop taps it he feels its not hollow.
    I had no cat on my ae86 for ages, started getting scared with all the defects happening in vic at the time, had a 200cel metal cat fitted and lost a tiny bit of top end but gained a little bottom end.
    He was only playing...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2r-0636 View Post
    Gutted cat = best option
    here we go...

back pressure doesnt make the car faster shit, i wonder if some of you have any understanding of simple gas flow

So it turns out that the exhaust place (4 mins from my house) I took it to last week lied to me and tried to take my money. He told me that my cat was blown and quoted me $330 to replace it. He also told me that the exhaust system has no leaks even though I told him I can clearly hear theres a leak. He searched from the manifold all the way to the rear tip and could not find any leaks. I told him I've lost power and the sound has completely changed, so he told me changing the cat will fix it.

Yesterday I took it to the exhaust place (30mins from my place) I've been taking all my cars for the past 10 years who told me the cat is totally fine and that theres a big crack in the piping just after the middle muffler. He replaced that part of the piping and welded it up all free of charge. Car's working great now :-)

The worrying thing is the guy who told me to replace my cat has been in business for over 15 years and is the only exhaust business in the local area.