Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S2000 to GT86 ?

S2000 to GT86 ?

Need some advise guys. I have an 2001 AP1 S2000 with 150,xxx kms. My intentions was to build a weekend/track car.

So far I have the following mods installed:

-Toda H/England with high flow cat
    -Spoon snorkel with KN filter & gutted airbox
    -Skunk larger throttle body
    -Haltech EMS with tune
    -Goodridge braided lines with track pads & fluid
    -Enkei rpf1's

Now its getting to 14 years old and needs a respray, new top (hardtop maybe), new alarm and coilovers.

I was thinking of getting a new base GT 86 for $30k and adding I/H/E, tune, wheels and call it done. My thinking is it will be newer, more comfortable and cheaper to run.
    I haven't driven one yet but i believe it will be a littler slower than the s2k and more predictable on the limit.

What are your thoughts. I am torn between my heart which says keep the s2k and strip it out and keep for a long time but need to be spending more ca$h on a 14 year old car with 150,xxx kms. Head says new GT86 and enjoy the new car and build slowly to my liking.

Please advise guys & keep it objective please..
    Last edited by Parky; 14-07-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    you dont wanna spend money on the s2k but wanna spend 30k+ for 86.

wat
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    in for unbiased replys

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    If you are worried about spending 5-8k on the S2000 fixing those issues and never getting your money back, just keep in mind you'll definitely lose out on depreciation on the new car anyway. Either way it's going to cost you. The final cost of ownership over another 5 years for either car assuming no major mechanical failures would be close (I would assume the S2000 would be cheaper overall).

It all comes down to which car you prefer. Go take an FT86 and test drive it. It honestly feels a fair bit slower than an S2000 stock, but it is a nice car so if you like it, that is all that matters. Don't use the cost as a justification though because it's backwards.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda s2000
    I've driven an 86 and while i did like the steering feel, it is lifeless in comparison to the s2000. The interior is nice and it feels cozy however the overall package doesn't come close to the s2000. Ultimately your call but i'd say spend the money and keep the s2000

True if you factor in depreciation this would cost such as much as finishing the S2000 project. I guess my mind is telling me why am I spending another $6-8k on a 14 year old car with 150,000kms.

I guess taking a GT86 for a test drive is the only way to really decide this..
    Last edited by Parky; 14-07-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Parky View Post
    Try if you factor in depreciation this would cost such as much as finishing the S2000 project. I guess my mind is telling me why am I spending another $6-8k on a 14 year old car with 150,000kms.

I guess taking a GT86 for a test drive is the only way to really decide this..
    Definitely - drive it and that's the only way to determine what you'll want. You'll never get a decent opinion here.

You sound like you're already convinced anyway
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Sell ap1 buy ap2

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Fd3s

/

There is plenty of comparisons on the net between the two. They each do things better than the other.

On track the two are reasonably even, the s2000 has more power, but the 86 wins pretty well everywhere else.

Drive both, decide which you like best.

Though if money is a concern, keep the car you already have =)

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    Fd3s

/
    hehe das it mayne
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

If it's just for track and weekends. Don't see why you would buy new, for something you're drive hard and wear out more quickly than if was a DD. And if it's mostly track, would you really need to spend cash on new paint and alarm?