Member Array
    Car:
    EK BRITTANY

EK1 engine whining problem

hi all, i own a 1999 EK1, as i started it up this morning the car began to have this whining noise from the engine, i have no idea what it is, any ideas?

engine does have 188xxx on the clock if that makes any difference

Louder when cold ?
    Does the whine happen directly with revs ?
    If manual-
    Does the noise happen at idle and disappear if you push the clutch in?

Otherwise have you sprayed oil or grease or cleaner in or around the engine bay recently? Might also be a loose or overly tight accessory belt

Member Array
    Car:
    EK BRITTANY
    totally forgot about this post, yes the problem has gone and there is no more wining, but since you did say it, i do hear a noise at idle and it does disappear when i push the clutch in, is that a problem?

Has the noise disappeared as the weather is a little warmer ?

I'm still suggesting it might be your Input shaft bearing - if the clutch needs replacing soon then best to drop the lot replace the input shaft bearing and release bearing too.

Otherwise I'd at least change your gearbox fluid with fresh honda mtf.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK BRITTANY
    I'm thinking to change my gearbox fluid soon, do you have any idea how much litres it will take to do a full change?

and yes i think it was due to the weather it was whining, but thank you for you help

Quote Originally Posted by MAZ.827 View Post
    I'm thinking to change my gearbox fluid soon, do you have any idea how much litres it will take to do a full change?

and yes i think it was due to the weather it was whining, but thank you for you help
    You need approx. 3 x 1 litre bottles of honda mtf to change the fluid.
    It's about 2.4l but you simply let it run thru and drip to finish then tighten the diff housing bolt.

As for my logic of cold weather = more noise - it's because the lower temperature means the fluid isn't quite as thick as when fully warm , and gives you extra noise. This is more so apparent when the fluid is old or the level is low / non OEM fluid used.

Start with changing the fluid and see how u go

Member Array
    Car:
    EK BRITTANY
    okay, thanks a lot