Member Array
    Car:
    95 accord vti

95 accord vti harmonic balancer needs replacing!

My 95 accord vti needs a new harmonic balancer. My mechanic warned me about it. My car is manual and done over 300k kms, does anyone know how much it would cost to fit in a new harmonic balancer? How big of a job is it? What will happen if I dont replace it? And does anyone know anyone who would replace it for a good price? I also had the timing belt changed around 10,000kms ago if that means anything.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Wow wow
    Let's calm down tiger
    So you need a new harmonic balancer?
    Okay did your mechanic say why?
    Is it broken, damaged? - mine is damaged, where it shreds the power steering belt and atlernator belt after a while
    How mechanically minded are you?
    I new one will set you back quite a bit $140
    It's not hard to change unless you do not have the right tools
    BUT you need a special tool to hold the harmonic balancer to crack open the pulley bolt

See if you can chuck up some pics of it
    It's hidden behind a splash shield
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    95 accord vti
    Not really mechanically minded lol. My dad Got the mechanics to look at it again, there telling me it needs a new crank shaft? Some sort of pulley crank shaft thats got something to do with the harmomic balancer. He reckons if I dont replace that crankshaft it will eventually break and I might aswell buy a new motor then. So yeah, im kinda freaking out that I need a new motor. I bought my accord off a dealer, and I swear this car isnt stock. It has power, im not sure what work the previous owners did to it, but we did a 0-100 test and it did it in 7.5seconds! That's why I want to avoid buying a whole new engine and all that, I just have no idea what the previous owner did to the car, everything looks stock, it doesnt have extractors or a cold air intake, its just stock, and it barely drinks any petrol at all, I once put 10 bucks worth of petrol in the car and I swear it lasted me 4 hours of non stop driving at 2am with no traffic. All this is on a 330,000km engine by the way. So it would be a shame to throw away such a good engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Oh dear
    A new crankshaft is pretty much a new engine
    The amount of labour needed to pull out engine, disassembly
    I think the mechanic is talking horse shit
    Take it to a honda mechanic
    Put up some pics of your engine and crankshaft please so we can do some guess work
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum