Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r,evo1,evo2
    wouldn't pay anything more than 10k for one with <150kms with straight panels and good paint.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    Yeah right I said that about my XU1 Torana many years ago when I sold it for $6k the current owner has it insured for $100k.
    My Integra R has 21,000 klms on it and is never for sale.I enjoy it too much.
    Opportunity loss mate.

You took an opportunity to gain something in the short term to loose in the long term.

It also works vice versa.

Life, its funny isnt it?

Will the DC2R become a sought after car as the XU1 Torana though? GM doesn't exist anymore and now Holden won't exist anymore in Australia. The Torana will never come back, the DC2R was replaced by the newer DC5R and then? Honda is still around, they might make a newer Integra one day. The 240Z by Datsun was a cult classic too, but prices for them haven't reached the status of the Torana.
    Last edited by Willabong; 03-08-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    dc2 ;)
    eh no luck thus far, cant get them to come down to 16k !! although im looking at the best of the bunch. and the ones interstate will cost another 1.6k to get rego'd here. :L

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    Yeah right I said that about my XU1 Torana many years ago when I sold it for $6k the current owner has it insured for $100k.
    My Integra R has 21,000 klms on it and is never for sale.I enjoy it too much.
    I'm in the same boat. I sold my (genuine VIN) A9X Torana for 10K in the 1980s and thought that I was doing pretty damn well - now I wish I'd kept it!!! A guy I used to hang out with then sold his Phase 3 for 20K (after rolling one and being rear ended in another)... I try not to think about how much that is in today's money that slipped through his fingers. I'm not convinced that speculating on car values is a worthwhile practice but damn there some "if only" stories out there.

I bought my DC2R a few years ago and paid over the current prices for it. The condition was worth it but I hate putting kms on it or leaving it in a car park.

A big thing to consider is not how much to pay for one but how much can you insure it for? I have to fight with my insurer every year as they want to drop its value, yet my "new" 1990 E30 318is with mods didn't make them blink when I wanted to insure for 10K WTF. No point in spending 16K on a DC2R if your insurance company wont insure it for that amount or drops it dramatically after 12 months. Be very aware of what the "agreed amount is both on taking the quote and for the future.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Willabong View Post
    Will the DC2R become a sought after car as the XU1 Torana though?
    I don't think so. Or at least not for another 20 years. The XU1 has Bathurst links from the 70s as does the A9X, GTHO and Charger. All built in Australia by Australian "icon" companies and are part of a tradition. Raced by well known Aussie household names. That gives them a huge boost with those that grew up watching icon names racing them and to give you an idea, you grew up with these things on the street and you loved them. The people that bought back into their childhood did so because they were cashed up baby-boomers and Gen X. The DC2R, DC5R and S2000 don't have that Aussie pedigree and never commanded the "wow" factor of a WRX/GTR/Evo. Series 1 RX7s and Jag XJS are in the same boat and they were raced at Bathurst etc (and won) but just aren't desirable as not Aussie and not "muscle".

Another good comparison is the CRX - they were raced (anyone else remember the Leyton House CRXs challenging Supras?) but not in the big races and not Aussie steel therefore not desirable enough to get people to hand over stupid money.

DC2Rs are niche, for people that like a well balanced car. But it has no real culture or heritage in Australia.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    dc2 ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I sold my (genuine VIN) A9X Torana for 10K in the 1980s and thought that I was doing pretty damn well - now I wish I'd kept it!!! A guy I used to hang out with then sold his Phase 3 for 20K (after rolling one and being rear ended in another)... I try not to think about how much that is in today's money that slipped through his fingers. I'm not convinced that speculating on car values is a worthwhile practice but damn there some "if only" stories out there.

I bought my DC2R a few years ago and paid over the current prices for it. The condition was worth it but I hate putting kms on it or leaving it in a car park.

A big thing to consider is not how much to pay for one but how much can you insure it for? I have to fight with my insurer every year as they want to drop its value, yet my "new" 1990 E30 318is with mods didn't make them blink when I wanted to insure for 10K WTF. No point in spending 16K on a DC2R if your insurance company wont insure it for that amount or drops it dramatically after 12 months. Be very aware of what the "agreed amount is both on taking the quote and for the future.
    yeah 12.5k is most i can get a dc2r insured for... i dont see the point anymore in spending 17-18k for one interstate then spending another 2k to get it registered plus another 2 k for rego. 22k all up, and if i **** up or someone ****s me over im 10k out of pocket. and it will be at least another 10-15 years before the car starts any appreciation, as for the crx's the sir ef8 versions have gone up in value.