Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

koni yellow/ eibach ground control sleeves vs coilovers

i have a dc5r of which i had the chocks replaced to koni yellow and had custom springs made for it a year ago.

It is time where i want to upgrade suspension further and am considering eibach ground control sleeves to match the koni yellows, or scrap that over all and go with coilovers.

the car is being built to be a daily of which can be taken to the track.
    I have searched online, and many people say the koni and sleeves are best bang for buck and are great etc etc, but are they better for handling then say the buddyclub n+ coilovers?

please share your input

thank you

I've had the buddy clubs n+ for the dc5. They are pretty bouncy even on softest setting. The springs rates Arnt matched well to the shocks.

You will probably be better off with the koni/eibach combo. It will be cheaper for
    You as we'll as you already have the konis.

Saying that, I have a set of Tein street advance coils ( one level up from the Tein SS) that are hardly used that I'm getting rid of if you are interested.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    would suggest the Koni+GC
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

ross did you mean they are stiff even on softest setting ? please pm price of the coils.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Stay away from N+ for the DC5. I have it on me DC5R. Hands down worst set of coils I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by rossirider View Post
    I've had the buddy clubs n+ for the dc5. They are pretty bouncy even on softest setting. The springs rates Arnt matched well to the shocks.
    This is because the adjustment changes damping settings, but spring constant stays the same. At the softest setting, they will be bouncy. At the hardest setting (harsh on the road) they might have the optimum damping, or be over damped. Buying super stiff coilovers and setting up on the softest setting for the road will only end in tears. Get the right spring rates, then match the dampers to suit.

As to the original question, changing from your existing springs to coilover sleeves will do little apart from maybe open up a wider range of off the shelf springs. You can have a good compromise between road and track, without going crazy either way. Talk to a suspension shop to see what your options are. Konis tend to be a reasonably good off the shelf damper, so if matched to decent springs and good geometry, you should have a well balanced car which should perform well ont he track. If you're chasing trophies, then maybe you need to look at something like Penske or MCA suspension setup, but at around $10k for the setup, it's not for the faint hearted. Totally overkill for a weekend track car.

most of the shops i have spoken to recommend the buddyclubs or bc racing coilovers.
    Seems like the buddyclubs arent as popular as they seem to be based on these asnwers.
    Thanks for your input hondarally, i think ill go with the ground control sleeves to match the konis, it should be better than the springs i have now, being eibach vs my custom made ones, which arent really specific spring rate orientated.

Quote Originally Posted by RA73DR View Post
    most of the shops i have spoken to recommend the buddyclubs or bc racing coilovers.
    Seems like the buddyclubs arent as popular as they seem to be based on these asnwers.
    Thanks for your input hondarally, i think ill go with the ground control sleeves to match the konis, it should be better than the springs i have now, being eibach vs my custom made ones, which arent really specific spring rate orientated.
    Popular cause they're cheap and for people that mistake stiff/harsh/underdampened for handling, they handle great...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    I have the Koni/GC combo on my DA9 and had a cheapie set of D2 coils on the old DA5 which were very stiff and bouncy if you dialled down the dampening pretty average really. The GCs ride nice and I could get custom rates of what I wanted, went with 10k front and 7.8 rear rides beautifully and much better than the old ebay springs setup I had which was actually lower rates. I would recommend going direct to GC, you can't buy online but give them a call and process was very easy with fast shipping
    Last edited by mooshie; 04-08-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Have a read on ClubRSX, back in the early days the Koni/GC combination was very popular there. From memory you have to be careful with the Koni front struts as they don't like too much lowering and had a habit of popping when folks ran them too low without enough bump stop. There was another guy on CRSX making parts to fit one of the Koni Race inserts (see HERE) to the standard DC5 housing, and fitting a GC coilover sleeve. This gave the advantage of a much shorter body so there was no risk of bottoming out the shock. If you're up for a bit of fiddling about then that could be an option.

hmmmmmmm, i thought id go down this ground control path since i already have a set of konis which i invested in previously, but seems like coilovers are the better option.. thanks for your input guys..

Throw me an offer Ra7edR