Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux 03

Intermittent Engine Light comes

Hope someone can help with this issue...the yellow engine warning light on my 1993 civic EG 1.5l VEI comes on intermittently. When it does comes on, all I do is pull over, switch the engine off and back on again. Most of the time it stays off but occasionally the light will come back on after a few minutes drive so again I repeat the process of turning off the car again and back on and then it stays off for as long as I drive it. The car drives fine, good fuel consumption, and idles steady at 850 rpm....The problem seems to have arisen after I replaced the distributor with a 2nd hand one about 8 months ago....this distributor had a worn oil seal and it leaked quite a bit off oil in the engine bay. I replaced the seal on the dizzy thinking this would be the end of the intermittent light issue but to no avail...its less frequent, but it still comes on occasionally......from the research I've done, its pointing to a faulty Oxygen sensor...the one on my car is the 5 wire type and is quite pricy and needs a special removal tool....the thing that's puzzling me is that if fumble around the wiring of the oxygen sensor, the engine light stays off for a longer period of days leading me to think it was just a bad electrical connection and I'd fixed it, only for the dreaded engine light to reappear....has anyone come across a similar problem or have any idea how I can confirm it really is a faulty oxygen sensor...any help much appreciated.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Don't guess what the problem is and ask the ECU what is wrong, it will tell you.

this is how you ask the ECU why the MIL lights up on the cluster

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...gnostics-Codes

Your car doe snot use an Oxygen Sensor as you found, Its a LAF Sensor which is different,, Its kind of the first wideband oxygen sensors of its day.

Post back your DTC's

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux 03
    Hi ECU-MAN,

Thanks for your reply and the link...very easy to follow . The code I got back is 48 which according to another poster to your link is

48 Primary Heated O-2 Sensor

I checked with Honda spares for the LAF but they don't have one in stock and in any case want a fortune for it....I wonder if any one on this forum has one to sell?

edit.....I've ordered one from Hondaworld and the O2 sensor removal tool from ebay....should have it replaced by next week.
    Last edited by maskitoe; 06-08-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Unfortunately the LAF will be expensive to get new. If you can source a known good second hand unit then you will be lucky. You do want to ensure that it is a sensor fault and not a wiring issue.. Just because you got code 48 it does not mean the LAF sensor is the fault. 90% of the time it will be however it could be the wiring or the ECU.

With out the correct tools the best you can do is check the wires from the sensor itself to its connectors and ensure none are cut or damaged. Then check the connector and ensure no pins are corroded, the check the loom connector and wiring back to the ECU. From memory its a seven wire beast.