Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting more grip from our cars (cl9)

Hi all, quick a throw out to anyone doing suspension modifications to their cars, I am working on this as I feel a lot of people get it backward when modding these cars.
    Here's what I have and looking for suggestions on best next move.

Pretty simple but I have an inch lowered springs, rear swaybar and 235 profile kumho ku36's.

Really happy with the results on my budget but wondering if a front strut brace is a good idea next or LSD?

Any input welcome

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    really depends on what you want the car to do, track work? daily drive?

things which can help your car handle better include RSB, Chassis Bracing, Camber Arms, Coilovers etc...
    MY05 Honda Accord Euro Luxury Auto
    1991 Nissan Pulsar N14 SR20DE (WORKED NA)
    1993 Nissan Pulsar N14 SSS (High Comp N/A)

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    Save your money and get coilovers first before blowing money on braces. Imo unless you track the car or run huge power and lsd is a waste of time especially if its a stockish motor

I hear the word coilovers so much but don't really want to go lower or higher, nor go stupid stiff. Just a daily which I'm trying to make like an oem but better model. Thinking camber arms or maybe some fat wheels

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    handling wise coilovers are not the be all and end of handling, a good set of adjustable shocks and good spring with sensible spring rates will improve ride comfort and handling, things like a rear sway will help with corning and keeping the car flatter around corners. bracing around the body will help reduce body flex.

coilovers are great, i have them in my weekend car, but i would not recommend them to everyone especially if you are driving the car in bumpy roads on a daily basis. it will rattle the car to bits.
    MY05 Honda Accord Euro Luxury Auto
    1991 Nissan Pulsar N14 SR20DE (WORKED NA)
    1993 Nissan Pulsar N14 SSS (High Comp N/A)

Thanks for a reasoned response^^

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    adjustable shock and spring IS a set of coils

it's about what type of shock (twin or single valve) and spring rate to match

most of coils on the market (esp the cheaper taiwanese) are single valve shock and have a rather high spring rate (10kg + out the front and 5kg + out the rear)

they are great on smooth road/light track work, not so much daily.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    well theres a few things you can do to improve handling.

starting off with lowered springs is good but have you considered improving the shock aswell?

alignment of the wheels will always help depending on how you want the car to drive or enter a corner..

braces are good but not worth the money.

asking for tips to set up your car is always going to be hard because we dont know how you want the car to handle or your driving style.

whats the car doing atm that you wish to change or improve?

my opinion for improving handling will always be to improve coilovers first. easiest bang for buck modification and they all vary from each other. some are soft, bouncy, stiff.....
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Quote Originally Posted by d-Z1R3 View Post
    handling wise coilovers are not the be all and end of handling, a good set of adjustable shocks and good spring with sensible spring rates will improve ride comfort and handling, things like a rear sway will help with corning and keeping the car flatter around corners. bracing around the body will help reduce body flex.

coilovers are great, i have them in my weekend car, but i would not recommend them to everyone especially if you are driving the car in bumpy roads on a daily basis. it will rattle the car to bits.
    good post

lsd will help with stock motor too OP, kseries oem lsd is actually very very good
    part time potato

Im just a daily driver but have really gained genuine happiness out of modifying my car, when my girlfriend bought me the rear sway bar it was nearly the best day of my life haha. the springs have Been something I've wanted for years so now it's starting to really look good and handle nicely, the last thing I can really feel is that lack of grip trying to drive out of corners. That's the thing I'd like to fix. People focus way too much on horsepower and noise I think. Would just
    Like a guy that gets In and knows cars to say, geez this is good whatever he's done. Feel me?

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    with the way your car is moving; try look into camber bolts or kits to allow more contact of the tyres taking those corners...... dampers will reduce body roll that could possible explain the slide also.....
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    RSB is def the biggest upgrade when it comes upgrading the CL9's handling. A front strut won't really do much in terms of handling, would improve steering feel and feedback though. I would look at new shocks as well, a better dampened shock will keep the wheels in contact with the road more, meaning more grip overall. Also, if power down is what you're concerned about, considered a ETD (Engine Torque Dampener). It will result in a bit more vibration into the cabin, but it'll help you launch and get power down easier as the engine isn't rocking as much. Solid engine mounts work too, but they induce a lot more NVH than an ETD would.