Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic

Ground control coilover sleeves?

So, I'm looking at getting something to lower my car. Whether it be coilovers or shocks and springs (I'm highly considering getting some koni yellows, but funds are majorly limited at this stage)

The skunk2 coil sleeves came up (somebody asked on quality) I had a google, apparently the ground control ones are better. So figured 'Huh, might ask'

I mean, Ideally I'd want something like koni yellows and nice low springs for a good height, or some decent coilovers, but eh. I'm a major cheap ass.
    What are good options? Or rather, are the sleeves worth it? I know saving up for more would be better, but shit. I'm working on my saving skills, and at this stage, they aren't going well.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Other idea is DD (drag and drift) coils, which are apparently alright (according to one guys report)

Although, in saying that, found some koni yellows for $400... That may jsut be the way to go. Bugger it
    God I love answering my own questions in thread before anybody else can get to it, baha

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    koney and GC proven reputable combo around 1k

or one of the low end coilover for similar money

pretty common dilemma for people hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Haha true.
    Have been pointed towards kony yellows and king springs for around $600.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Aaand turns out this isn't the case.
    But still, shocks for $678~
    Might just get the king springs, or ground control sleeves, chuck them on stock struts for now, make them hate life, then eventually get the koni yellows to go under them for happy lows, instead of lows crying oil

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    +1 for Ground Controls. had them on my EG really nice! shame shipping is killer. got em from ebay, got the recommended rates.

put them on stock struts, worked fine.

but i heard that stock struts and Koni Yellow are different sized so its hard to put the ones designed for stock struts onto Koni Yellows

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Correct. Koni sleeve design is different to those made for OEM shock
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    So, was told today that the kings super lows (at like 40mm drop or so) would be sitting on bump stops and ride like it's on wooden wheels

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    well thats what a 40mm drop is gonna give you.
    honeslty if 40 mm is already close to bump stops then i would be looking at adjustable coils. save up for good ones if u want the advantages if you dont really care. then get them cheap ones and see if you can get some spring that arent too hard on the coils

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Yeah, that's it. Now whether I should even consider cheap coils or get some decent ones

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    So, was told today that the kings super lows (at like 40mm drop or so) would be sitting on bump stops and ride like it's on wooden wheels
    told by who? 40mm is not much and I would be surprised if the early Civs had such limited suspension travel
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by mooshie View Post
    told by who? 40mm is not much and I would be surprised if the early Civs had such limited suspension travel
    40mm is a guess, judging by how ultra lows are 70mm drop
    But, guy at bursons and the king springs supplier...

You are right though, 40-70mm isn't enough of a drop to be anywhere near bump stops on stock springs, surely?